Overtime with Bill Maher will air every Friday at 11:30pm On CNN from this Friday.

cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com 

(30-01-2023, 06:39 PM)TMD_24 Wrote:  Overtime with Bill Maher will air every Friday at 11:30pm On CNN from this Friday.

cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com 
Well, it's a rather short pre-record pretty late in the schedule that can be moved or even ditched in case of any major breaking news.

In the aftermath of the California shooting, they decided to air pre-recorded Chris Wallace at 7PM, although a police press conference was set to be held at 7:30 PM ET. It worked out, as the presser got delayed and started well after 8 PM. However, had it started on time, would they break into Wallace and re-air his show later in full?

Meanwhile, Richard Quest is in London today, which means a gorgeous studio, and even doing a little paper review rustling regarding Zahawi sacking.
[Image: image.png]
What a shame that he can't have a proper studio while in New York. His previous one (19Y) is under refurbishment, but there is a whole lot of studios in New York, for example, 19Z is free until 7 PM. Is it due to the lack of crew to operate it, with the only crew on shift at that time in New York operating 21L with Newsroom in it?
If that's the case, the possibility of QMB getting a proper NY studio back becomes even dimmer, as the CNN/US won't have any New York output from noon to 7 PM and thus, possibly, no respective crew. Or they could just redirect the existing New York crew to CNNI and the likes of One World and QMB when the shift to Washington happens.

I've been saying this for a long time, but the way CNN bosses treat QMB shows their whole attitude towards CNNI last few years. Quest is CNNI's biggest star, best known name, with an almost 20 year old prime time show, and they can't bother with giving him a decent, proper set. It's outrageous! Richard should move back to London.

As for Bill Maher on domestic. Wow. Is he the answer to that 9 pm comedy slot? Will he have to stop making fun of CNN and trashing them? Would be interesting to see that but I doubt he would leave HBO for a ratings disaster that is CNN.

(30-01-2023, 10:29 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  Will he have to stop making fun of CNN and trashing them? Would be interesting to see that but I doubt he would leave HBO for a ratings disaster that is CNN.
Per press release, he's not leaving HBO at all. The CNN thing will be basically an extra, an overtime to what he does on HBO, with him and the guests answering the viewers' questions.
Quote:OVERTIME features Maher and his guests continuing the discussion and answering viewer questions following each week’s episode of REAL TIME WITH BILL MAHER.
And if it is indeed going to be (pre-recorded) part of CNN Tonight, then CNNI is likely to carry it as well.

Yes, I'm just wondering if it's a sort of a test for the 9 pm slot.

Its unlikely that his regular show airs on CNN as its full of swearing. But they can certainly take the aftershow which is what they are planning to do. Since they are in the same family best way to leverage resources.

I've actually always liked Real Time's format. A lot of other countries have more talk shows like it. If you can look past Bill Maher, it's not a bad show. But that's a big ask. If CNN used the same format but found someone a little less grating and maybe dumped the studio audience, they might have a winner.

Well Maher is ok in my opinion and could actually be the perfect personality for CNN. A liberal that's not woke and who actually often criticizes Dems and makes fun of them, something unheard of in mainstream media, so he could perhaps bring in some new viewers to the channel.
[-] The following 2 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • Stockland Hillman, thomash79

Dylan Byers has some reporting that Chris Licht has approached Gayle King to host a weekly prime time interview. The reporting also mentions that she could reach an Anderson Cooper like deal where she continues on CBS whilst doing CNN shows.

puck.news 

(01-02-2023, 01:41 AM)TMD_24 Wrote:  Dylan Byers has some reporting that Chris Licht has approached Gayle King to host a weekly prime time interview.
I thought "weekly prime time interview" is pretty much what Chris Wallace does, although his CNN show is a pre-recorded digest of several interviews with their full versions being dropped on HBO Max (after CNN+ got axed). Interestingly, what the plans for his program are then, if they are trying make another one of roughly the same type...