I agree with sky303 here. Having the anchor live outside the NY media or DC political bubbles impacts their perspective of what's important, meaning they likely will make different editorial decisions on what to cover.
[-] The following 4 users Like EastCoast's post:
  • bakamann, benzj, interestednovice, sky303

(19-03-2023, 12:30 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  I agree.

Both Victor and Boris are likely to be off-air for a while as they shift things around and probably do piloting in the  background.

In Victor’s case, he will have to move (again!) this time from NY to Atlanta and not the other way around.

Well, it did not take Boris long to step into Victor's shoes, as he already presented today's Newsroom 2pm-4pm with Jessica Dean. He did not have to move anywhere, after all!

It makes one wonder what was the point of him moving to weekdays now and not before the launch of the revamped daytime - are they doing pilots on weekends? John Berman, who is also to become a News Central fixture, was busy today in the 9-11am Newsroom as well.

Although it is interesting that today Boris, John, Brianna Keilar and Kate Bolduan have all been presenting in the time slots that will soon become parts of their respective shows: while Kate still anchors At This Hour at 11am, Brianna did 1pm single-headed hour.

On a separate note, CNN This Morning today tried to present headlines at the TOTH as "5 things" segments. For that purpose in the first hour, when they did it live, they even used the wide videowall behind the anchors that has been always used just as a backdrop.
[Image: image.png]

In the second hour they opted for prerecorded snippets of "5 things" (much like the weekend's Newsroom headlines) and... mixed up the graphics for the first two stories.
[-] The following 2 users Like oscillon's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice

(20-03-2023, 11:29 PM)EastCoast Wrote:  I agree with sky303 here. Having the anchor live outside the NY media or DC political bubbles impacts their perspective of what's important, meaning they likely will make different editorial decisions on what to cover.

That's giving wayyy too much credit into how much input anchors have into a newscast. The story selection on the weekend editions of Newsroom probably feels different because it's the weekend, not because it's Fredricka anchoring from Atlanta. Most business and government functions are closed. There are also fewer people willing to come on as guests on the weekend, so you're likely to get fewer of those political-heavy segments than during the week (the exception being Sunday mornings.) There's simply less news going on during weekends, so that leaves them covering more random stories from around the country that otherwise might not get national coverage or more time for international news.
[-] The following 5 users Like Charles's post:
  • bkman1990, cando, interestednovice, Jeff, sky303

(21-03-2023, 04:33 AM)Charles Wrote:  
(20-03-2023, 11:29 PM)EastCoast Wrote:  I agree with sky303 here. Having the anchor live outside the NY media or DC political bubbles impacts their perspective of what's important, meaning they likely will make different editorial decisions on what to cover.

That's giving wayyy too much credit into how much input anchors have into a newscast. The story selection on the weekend editions of Newsroom probably feels different because it's the weekend, not because it's Fredricka anchoring from Atlanta. Most business and government functions are closed. There are also fewer people willing to come on as guests on the weekend, so you're likely to get fewer of those political-heavy segments than during the week (the exception being Sunday mornings.) There's simply less news going on during weekends, so that leaves them covering more random stories from around the country that otherwise might not get national coverage or more time for international news.
Yup.  The anchors aren’t personally choosing what and how to cover stories.  They’re not managing editors.  Of course they have a lot input and some veto power, but it really depends.  Some anchors are more involved than others.  

I also think it’s kind of silly to think someone living in Atlanta has a drastically different perspective on things.

Atlanta is a modern, thriving U.S. city — the largest in the entire southeast.  It also has a TON of transplants who did not grow up in the area.  

There’s no “outsiders” perspective.

And I think where the anchor is based is far less important than where the team behind the anchor is based.  

CNN in Atlanta just has a better history and culture of doing things, IMO.
[-] The following 3 users Like inletwindow's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, sky303

(21-03-2023, 04:33 AM)Charles Wrote:  That's giving wayyy too much credit into how much input anchors have into a newscast.

(21-03-2023, 10:59 AM)inletwindow Wrote:  The anchors aren’t personally choosing what and how to cover stories.  They’re not managing editors.  Of course they have a lot input and some veto power, but it really depends.  Some anchors are more involved than others.  

I also think it’s kind of silly to think someone living in Atlanta has a drastically different perspective on things.

You’re probably right that I’m giving them too much credit; however, every behind the news clip always shows the anchors playing an important part, alongside their producers, in choosing and solidifying the rundown.

As for Atlanta - I’m not saying there’s anything special about it. It’s simply not NY or DC. During the peak-Zucker years Fred’s output felt drastically different than any other Newsroom. Maybe it’s just correlation that the Atlanta output seemed better than NY or DC, not causation.
[-] The following 2 users Like EastCoast's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice

(21-03-2023, 12:46 PM)EastCoast Wrote:  
(21-03-2023, 04:33 AM)Charles Wrote:  That's giving wayyy too much credit into how much input anchors have into a newscast.

(21-03-2023, 10:59 AM)inletwindow Wrote:  The anchors aren’t personally choosing what and how to cover stories.  They’re not managing editors.  Of course they have a lot input and some veto power, but it really depends.  Some anchors are more involved than others.  

You’re probably right that I’m giving them too much credit; however, every behind the news clip always shows the anchors playing an important part, alongside their producers, in choosing and solidifying the rundown.

As for Atlanta - I’m not saying there’s anything special about it. It’s simply not NY or DC. During the peak-Zucker years Fred’s output felt drastically different than any other Newsroom. Maybe it’s just correlation that the Atlanta output seemed better than NY or DC, not causation.

The people who work on the Fred weekend team also work on shows during the week.

I’d consider all the 9am-4pm shows during the week to be “Atlanta” output even with the anchors in DC or NY.  Those teams are still largely Atlanta based, with the control rooms out of Atlanta as well.  

It’s pretty different from 5a-9a which is entirely NY based (including staff and control rooms), 4p-7p which is entirely DC based, and 7p-12a which is entirely NY based.
[-] The following 1 user Likes inletwindow's post:
  • interestednovice

And CNN Primetime brand, in its fourth week of existence, starts being slowly diluted as we welcome today the first multi-topical episode, featuring
a) Trump and his legal issues
b) Federal Reserve hiking its rate
c) Tiktok safety concerns (and there will be a another Primetime tomorrow, specifically focused on this topic).
d) (UPD, it was not announced at the start) Jack Daniel's vs. Bad Spaniels in the Supreme Court. Well, at least that was fun!

Anchored by Kaitlan Collins, it features (and pretty much consists of, at least for the first part) a panel (hello, CNN Tonight), but a panel consisting only of CNN anchors - Paula Reid, Sara Sidner, Michael Smerconish and Laura Coates, all in 19Y studio.

UPD. Later in the show they have an interview with Democratic congressman Adam Schiff as well, so it's not only panel. Questions - and that's unusual - are being asked not only by the anchor of the show, but from all members of the anchors' panel as well.

UPD2. When the topic changed to economy, Paula Reid gave up her seat to Julia Chatterley. For Tiktok it's Oliver Darcy, first non-anchor to take part in this panel.
[-] The following 1 user Likes oscillon's post:
  • interestednovice

Not a bad thing to have multiple topics, would be a good idea if they don't have something long form planned, it would be wise for them to have stories that maybe CNN didn't cover much in the day and do it this hour. I think it fits as long as it doesn't become focused around one person or something, I pretty much see CNN Primetime the idea as pretty much a catch all thing where they can do pretty much anything.
[-] The following 3 users Like sky303's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, Talkover

I wonder if that was the original plan to cover multiple topics tonight. I get the sense possibility that they may have possibility done an indictment special given Wednesday was the possible day but given the Grand Jury didn't sit yesterday then maybe they changed it to be multiple topics.
[-] The following 4 users Like TMD_24's post:
  • bkman1990, Charles, interestednovice, oscillon

CNN tries again to put together a viable newsmagazine. Currently CNN anchor Anderson Cooper is one of the teams of journalists for the #1 reputable long running and highly respected investigative news magazines on US television CBS 60 Minutes. Well CNN is gonna try again. This time with Cooper at the helm. Its called THE WHOLE STORY with ANDERSON COOPER.

www.adweek.com 

variety.com 
[-] The following 7 users Like mouseboy33's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, EastCoast, interestednovice, Kojak, matthieu1221, oscillon