(25-03-2023, 12:27 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  That poor studio can't take more than one person in it.

Did Amara anchor with Victor before?  I mean did she joined before he left? Anyway, she'll make a much better team with him than with the NY bound bland Boris.

Amara had anchored New Day Weekend with Victor before, but it was as a cover presenter before she got the job as official co-anchor.

Technically, at the time, she would have been filling in for Christi Paul.

I’m not sure why they now feel they can relocate Boris from Washington DC to New York, but they were not prepared to re-locate him to Atlanta before. The split-screen presentation just didn’t work! At least Victor’s return is the end of that - but I wouldn’t be surprised if, when either presenter is away, we end up with split-screen cover.

(23-03-2023, 11:18 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  Just one small thing that differentiates The Whole Story from 60 Minutes is apparently the the CNN programme will be in singular topic rather than the 2-3 long-form pieces on 60 Minutes.  Hopefully they can pull it off. 60 Minutes it known for its months long or even years long investigative stories. They also do pop culture stories about famous celebrities but in a serious fashion rather than the vapid Entertainment Tonight-style interviews. Im not getting the indepth investigation vibe from the CNN programme. Having said that CNN does need its own "Panorama-esque" programme. So lets if they can create appointment television like 60 Minutes.
That original version of CNN Tonight from over a decade ago, a clip of which was posted further back in the thread, seemed to also be a similar concept.

However, to the modern viewer the clip seemed like an alternate reality - Sanjay Gupta anchoring a non-medical programme, live from Atlanta, alongside Brooke Baldwin (in the days before she had a regular afternoon show) was a bit random!

That said, based on the clip, it appeared to work well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes interestednovice's post:
  • oscillon

Boris is not moving to NY. He will stay in DC with Brianna and Jim.

Sanjay and Brooke anchored a show called “CNN Presents”. It was filmed at the Techwood campus rather than CNN Center.
[-] The following 1 user Likes EastCoast's post:
  • interestednovice

Sorry for assuming incorrectly, I didn’t know the details!

Yes, it was CNN Presents (I misremembered) which looked like a good programme. I didn’t realise it was Techwood either, I assumed it was CNN Center.

They could do worse than use the CNN Presents format for their new investigative programme.

(25-03-2023, 03:47 PM)EastCoast Wrote:  Boris is not moving to NY. He will stay in DC with Brianna and Jim.

Sanjay and Brooke anchored a show called “CNN Presents”. It was filmed at the Techwood campus rather than CNN Center.
What on earth Licht sees in Boris Sanchez is a complete mystery. Great in the field - just plain awful as an anchor. 

Nothing against the guy personally, but there are far better anchors within CNN that Boris Sanchez. I fully expect that afternoon mix to be a disaster.
[-] The following 2 users Like Newsroom's post:
  • Charles, interestednovice

Perhaps the afternoon mix will evolve into Boris regularly ending up as a sort of roving reporter, anchoring from on-location and feeding into the broadcast with the other presenters back at the studio?

That might be a good idea, and would play to his reporting strengths. We will see how it turns out!

Yeah, CNN Presents was CNN’s latest attempt at a news magazine show. The most recent iteration was back in 2011/2012. I think I’m the one who posted the clip!

That’s also how many of CNN’s docs were branded as well.

I don’t recall it having permanent hosts, but yeah, sometimes it was hosted by Brooke and Sanjay (and they were hosting in the clip I shared). It was NOT live. And yeah, the studio used was at Techwood.

CNN Presents had all sorts of different reporters contribute — but it also also had Amber Lyon and Kai Larsen dedicated to it. Remember them? Oy vey.

It was killed in favor of outsourcing much of the networks longform programming.

That’s about when CNN Films and CNN Originals (like Bourdain) started. Most of that stuff was done by outside production houses. CNN just bought the rights to them.

This seems like a return more stuff being produced in house, which is a good thing!!!

Btw, a previous version of CNN Presents was hosted by Aaron Brown. There was also at least one CNN/Time magazine show.
[-] The following 2 users Like inletwindow's post:
  • interestednovice, oscillon

I also remember the CNN Special Investigations Unit they had for a few years too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes sky303's post:
  • interestednovice

Interesting to read the full context, thanks inletwindow.

Original long-form investigative journalism is probably a good way forward as it will draw viewers to CNN (to see their exclusives) and hopefully get them to come back and watch the network more. Not a bad strategy. One would hope that the investments they make in producing that content would then more than pay off in additional income from better ad viewership figures.

We will just have to watch this as it unfolds, to see if that holds true!
[-] The following 2 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • Kojak, Newsroom

I agree. It is a good idea. The problem is investigative journalism is VERY VERY expensive. 60 Minutes is extremely popular and brings in the ad revenue for CBS to justify the expense. A commercial operation usually gets frightened off if the returns arent there to continue producing something no is watching. Think about the string of news magazines NBC has tried that never worked. Money is one of the reasons Dateline has become a crime-focused news magazine these days, because it brings in viewers and money.
[-] The following 3 users Like mouseboy33's post:
  • benzj, interestednovice, Jeff

(25-03-2023, 08:56 PM)sky303 Wrote:  I also remember the CNN Special Investigations Unit they had for a few years too.

I somehow recall that CNN Special Investigations Unit is a thing, but I assume it got absorbed or renamed as the "K-File", since they are more prominent on AC360 and other CNN Domestic shows.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bakamann's post:
  • interestednovice