There's a new addition to CNNi mornings as Laila Harrak is joining to present Newsroom on the early morning Europe slots on Saturday and Sunday. She will be based in Atlanta and cover other weekday International shows when presenters are off.

cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com 

This announcement certainly raises questions.

The current weekend European mornings are divided with Michael Holmes anchoring from 12-3a ET Sat/Sun and 12-2a Mon, and Kim Brunhuber anchoring from 2-4a Fri and 3-6a Sat/Sun. It's unclear how Laila Harrak will fit into this since there isn't an obvious opening. My preferred outcome is Michael Holmes being offered a more prominent position and Laila taking over the early edition. 

It's possible that only assigning Laila to Saturday and Sunday mornings is an indication that a new weekday European morning schedule is in the works with anchors taking a more traditional 5 day work schedule. With a new morning show under development on CNN Domestic a retooling of the simulcast hours which act as a lead-in to the morning show isn't a far out option. Don Lemon Tonight coming to an end further allows CNN to rethink the simulcast as they negotiate a contract with Don's successor(s).

Well that's interesting, finally something happening on the CNNI front. The whole channel is ripe for a rebrand, schedule and graphics wise. I would like European mornings to be double-headed again. Michael Holmes is criminally underused on weekend mornings so I hope he's paired up with Rosemary on weekdays.

Jake Tapper is reported to be moving to 9pm on CNN US with Laura Coates and Alisyn Camerota taking over the 10pm slot:

twitter.com 

Edit:  New schedule for mid term elections confirmed.

cnnpressroom.blogs.cnn.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like Omnipresent's post:
  • EastCoast, Newsroom

Obviously this is just temporary and for a short period of time but I have to say the changes are a positive though. I'm mostly pleased to see John and Briana rotating on The Lead. That show will really play to their strengths in interviewing and challenging guests sharply. Twitter seem to hate Jake Tapper but I think he's the sort of journalist that CNN needs in prime time. He's covered that slot before actually when he was covering the War In Ukraine and did reasonably well so it's good to see him getting a temporary promotion. Laura Coates and Alisyn Camerota are a good pick for the 10pm hour, Coates has been practically impressive host as well with her style of presenting. She does have that personality and spark but I don't think she rubs that in everyone's faces unlike say Don Lemon. It's a shame Sara Sidner didn't get a look in, although I hope she is part of the next set of changes.

Minor schedule adjustments this Sunday:
11am ET: CNN Newsroom with Fredricka Whitfield
7pm: Who's Talking to Chris Wallace
8pm: CNN Special Report

Curious to see how the 2p-7p block of CNN Newsroom will be divided up between Fred, Alex (in for Jim), and Pam. Also worth pointing out that CNNI will have no live news from 7pm to 12am. Perfect time to bring back "CNN News Now" updates.

Edit: Fred is currently anchoring 2-3pm (usually 2-4pm). Jim Acosta is back and will anchor 3-5pm (usually 4-6pm) with Pam Brown picking up 5-7pm (usually 6-9pm).

No matter the gap between Newsrooms on CNNI, there's no way to get international news on CNNI on weekends. BBC has live coverage of Italian elections right now while CNNI sticks to World Sport. There's no on duty, stand by presenter in Atlanta who could present any sort of news coverage that doesn't include simulcasts.

For how much longer will we have to suffer through this Florida storm non-stop coverage? Meanwhile, things are happening in the world, like Russia officially annexing parts of Ukraine. You'd never know watching CNNI. My God....
[-] The following 1 user Likes ginnyfan's post:
  • Newsroom

(30-09-2022, 07:14 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  For how much longer will we have to suffer through this Florida storm non-stop coverage? Meanwhile, things are happening in the world, like Russia officially annexing parts of Ukraine. You'd never know watching CNNI. My God....

That's been the CNNI way for over a decade now. BBC World News is going the same way, essentially merging with its domestic counterpart to save dosh.

(30-09-2022, 07:14 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  For how much longer will we have to suffer through this Florida storm non-stop coverage? Meanwhile, things are happening in the world, like Russia officially annexing parts of Ukraine. You'd never know watching CNNI. My God....

It really has got to the stage where you really wonder do wonder who the hell is at the wheel at CNNi. It's become unwatchable yet agin over its inability to part ways from Domestic when there is major International news breaking, the annexation a prime and recent example. I believe it was only on Friday 30th Sept that Becky Anderson cut into Domestic to break the news of said Annexation to only heard straight back to Domestic for more Hurricane coverage.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Newsroom's post:
  • Kojak