Eurovision Song Contest 2023

Actually it is the Irish selection tonight and after all the headlines about Johnny Lydon competing to represent them it turns out it is a very moving and personal track that he is competing with.

www.youtube.com 

Ireland have chosen their winner.

It's "We Are One" by Wild Youth and is really catchy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ballinagrappa's post:
  • AJB39

Chorus is incredibly similar to Will Young's 'Joy'. I fear another NQ for Ireland. None of the six songs seemed especially strong in my view. The high point of the event for me was the ludicrous advert for (the high in fibre, plant-based, and available-in-various-flavours) peanut butter around two-thirds of the way through.
[-] The following 3 users Like DavidWhitfield's post:
  • benzj, chaose, Josh

Ireland are stuck in the same kind of rut that the UK was stuck in last decade.

I was hoping they would see what we did with Sam last year but unfortunately it seems they took no notice.

I think Ireland are too firmly stuck in Eurovision past and RTÉ seem reluctant to budge. Maybe they're still paying the bill off from the quadruple whammy in the 90's.

I think for next year they need to explore more down the social media route and potentially lost Eurosong altogether and internally select it. That's what worked for us last year but all Ireland can hope for these days is that the song qualifies for the final - something I'm not convinced they'll achieve again this year.
[-] The following 3 users Like RDJ's post:
  • benzj, hval.alyse, UTVLifer

Ireland's entry sounds so dated and like so many other songs. Lydon's song if there wasn't a story to it would be written off right away. It sounds terrible.
[-] The following 2 users Like tellyblues's post:
  • benzj, hval.alyse

Anyone know why BBC One North West opted out of showing Bad Education episode 4 in favour of repeating the rather dated live Eurovision Draw from 31st Jan? Most odd.

(08-02-2023, 01:21 AM)direw0lf Wrote:  Anyone know why BBC One North West opted out of showing Bad Education episode 4 in favour of repeating the rather dated live Eurovision Draw from 31st Jan? Most odd.

The contest is being held in The North West, isn't it?
[-] The following 2 users Like ckck1704's post:
  • DE88, orange

“rather dated” It’s a Eurovision draw and it was perfectly adequate. Not sure what else you would want them to to with it.

(08-02-2023, 10:56 AM)orange Wrote:  “rather dated” It’s a Eurovision draw and it was perfectly adequate. Not sure what else you would want them to to with it.
Dated in the fact it was broadcast a week ago, I think was the meaning.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 2 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • direw0lf, orange

That makes more sense! My mistake.

I assume it’s because they released it on iPlayer first and it’s a BBC Three show - most of the audience will be viewing it that way anyway and they probably want more locals getting into the build-up of ESC.