Eurovision Song Contest 2023

Last year, Italy aired both Semi-finals & Final on Rai 1 while this year The Semi-finals are airing on Rai 2 with the Final on 1.

Will be interesting to see how it much of a bump it gets overall this year as undoubtedly us hosting is boosting interest. Of course the semi finals will be up, and despite it's critics Eurovision is one of the highest rating nights of the year already so is the potential there for it to average over 10m.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • JosiahStuart

Looking through the SF1 video entries again this morning, it's certainly the Swedish entry that stands out as something that can easily be replicated on stage as a live performance.

Obviously, she also has a powerful voice, as did our own Sam Ryder last year.

I hope to see some amazing staging in Liverpool next month.

I thought for many years that the large BBC contribution to ESC was set design or lighting, but I may be wrong in that. I'm sure someone will correct me.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • JosiahStuart

(01-04-2023, 12:13 PM)Stuart Wrote:  Looking through the SF1 video entries again this morning, it's certainly the Swedish entry that stands out as something that can easily be replicated on stage as a live performance.

I hope to see some amazing staging in Liverpool  next month.

I thought for many years that the large BBC contribution to ESC was set design or lighting, but I may be wrong in that. I'm sure someone will correct me.

I know that for 1999 and the early 2000's, BBC Resources provided the scoreboard (remembering watching the voting portion of ESC2000).
[-] The following 1 user Likes JosiahStuart's post:
  • IndigoTucker

(01-04-2023, 12:13 PM)Stuart Wrote:  Looking through the SF1 video entries again this morning, it's certainly the Swedish entry that stands out as something that can easily be replicated on stage as a live performance.

I hope to see some amazing staging in Liverpool  next month.

There's actually doubt the Swedish staging will be able to be replicated due to the size of the rig required, it's a massive and time intensive prop and very heavy to rig.

Nowadays I don't believe there's any responsibilities for broadcasters other than the host, the BBC will have been in charge of set design, lighting, graphic design, everything this year but in previous years they won't have been involved at all. Only responsibilities are in terms of fees which help cover organisation by both the EBU and the host broadcaster.
[-] The following 1 user Likes strollfan's post:
  • UTVLifer

(01-04-2023, 02:36 PM)JosiahStuart Wrote:  I know that for 1999 and the early 2000's, BBC Resources provided the scoreboard (remembering watching the voting portion of ESC2000).
They did! A custom Acorn computer IIRC from BBC R&D, or something running in BBC Basic. Eventually conventional graphics hardware could match it and it was replaced.
[-] The following 1 user Likes IndigoTucker's post:
  • JosiahStuart

You looking into things way too much, Eurovision in normal years is usually a BBC Three/Four fare for semi finals. BBC One for finals. Reason probably that UK doesn't need to qualify for the final due to being one of the main countries of funding of it. There for the UK audience doesn't really have a competition part of the semi finals.

My apologies for saying the picture previously shown by BBC/EBU was the set for Eurovision 2023. Confused 

The report today on the newly mangled 'BBC News' shows that they haven't yet built the set, they've just started. It will take 5 weeks, which is cutting it fine for the SFs. I apologise for not snipping the front/back of the video as my software is 'up the wall' at the moment.   Angry 
youtu.be 

Despite them saying set building would take five weeks, there's just no way that it can. Performer rehearsals tend to start a fortnight prior to final day, ten days prior to the semis, and stand in rehearsals even sooner than that. I suspect just bad wording on their part today.

As long as there's no issues with sets not moving as they're supposed to, it'll all be grand - no bloomin suns the wrong way round, at least, this year...

Still interested to see how/if they modify Sweden's set, though. It's clearly been positioned deliberately in the running order to go after a commercial break, to buy the production team two minutes to get stuff into position.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tim G's post:
  • chaose

It would be very Britain 2023 to have to delay the contest because the set isn't ready.

I suspect the actual physical build will be relatively quick over the next week or two - it's then the technical fit out which will take the time and some elements of it may overlap with the start of rehearsals, although largely suspect it's just lazy journalism of them seeing the event is in 5-6 weeks so just saying it takes 5 weeks to build. Probably knowing the BBC because if they said it would take 1-2 weeks they'd get complaints they're in the arena so early.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • orange