Eurovision Song Contest 2023

Ryland and Scott have said there has been a ckosed set and no one knows who or what is going on. Likly to be a music ledgend making a surprise tomorrow.

(11-05-2023, 10:37 PM)simpfeld Wrote:  
(11-05-2023, 06:14 PM)mcrdev Wrote:  Even the sat uplink kit was set up by middle of last week.

I'd have thought a big event like this would all be fibre maybe with satellite as a backup?
With the number of broadcasters who need it, it's easier to do it by satellite - it can be downlinked by all their members. Generally the EBU use satellite for multilateral (feeds going to many locations)  and their fibre network for unilateral (feeds going to individual)

I'm not sure there's any fibre distribution of the contest multilateral, except for non members. But that doesn't mean it couldn't be done should one member lose it's satellite downlinks

(11-05-2023, 10:37 PM)simpfeld Wrote:  
(11-05-2023, 06:14 PM)mcrdev Wrote:  Even the sat uplink kit was set up by middle of last week.
I'd have thought a big event like this would all be fibre maybe with satellite as a backup?

There were two large uplink dishes set up in the OB compound last week and the arena itself is on various fibre networks. I wouldn't like to speculate further on the way they are getting the programme feeds out of the site.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mcrdev's post:
  • chrisherald

(12-05-2023, 11:16 AM)CATV Wrote:  Ryland and Scott have said there has been a ckosed set and no one knows who or what is going on.  Likly to be a music ledgend making a surprise tomorrow.

Cue the endless speculation. 

I'll start...... Paul McCartney.

Or Atomic Kitten.

(11-05-2023, 10:18 PM)TIGHazard Wrote:  Possibly the most bizarre credit in Eurovision history

[Image: rwuyn3tv7bza1.png?width=1024&auto=webp&v...696b69c7bb]

I love how it looks like Alesha's just noticed it.
[-] The following 3 users Like PJamo's post:
  • DeMarkay, MorganLamia, UTVLifer

Like the Uk many countries are using fibre with satellite back up ….
( as you would tend to do for any major OB)
But it’s obviously cheaper to use the satellite …

(11-05-2023, 10:30 PM)Digipal Wrote:  I have to say, I’m so proud of the BBC’s presentation of Eurovision 2023. The graphics, the set design, hosts and content: they’re already nipping at the heels of SVT Stockholm 2016, which IMHO is the gold standard of recent competitions and we haven’t even reached the grand final yet. Not to mention managing a Coronation, a Coronation concert and two live Eurovision semi finals in the space of six days. So far, job well done

Completely agree. I've been watching the feedback on Twitter where people have been ranking pres. It's been commented the branding is bold and straightforward this year, as opposed to the deep, textured graphics used over the last few years (peaking last year, with Turin's elaborate graphics). Some have said they look 'basic' but I think they're a bit of a full-circle evolution, and some of the transitions/animations are stunning - like they way they flip Julia Sanina's name into Ukrainian.

The BBC has done a tremendous job at featuring the UK (and Ukraine's) creative industries on this! And a shout out to Hannah Waddingham, who is just sensational! Super glam, slightly irreverent and self-deprecating - she's just incredible. How different this feels from the way we put on the last one I remember watching as a 14 year old...
[-] The following 2 users Like peter's post:
  • DeMarkay, Stuart

I just don't get the Hannah love. Not disgraced herself and better than most granted, but a long way off the likes of Petra Mede and it's Alesha who has been carrying things IMO.

twitter.com 

I think all three presenters have been pretty solid to be honest. Each bring their own qualities.

As for the closed set, I’d guess a revival of The Beatles with the surviving members and holograms of the dead ones?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • Brekkie

(12-05-2023, 12:59 PM)peter Wrote:  I've been watching the feedback on Twitter where people have been ranking pres. It's been commented the branding is bold and straightforward this year, as opposed to the deep, textured graphics used over the last few years (peaking last year, with Turin's elaborate graphics). Some have said they look 'basic' but I think they're a bit of a full-circle evolution, and some of the transitions/aniomations are stunning - like they way they flip Julia Sanina's name into Ukrainian.

The BBC has done a tremendous job at featuring the UK (and Ukraine's) creative industries on this! And a shout out to Hannah Waddingham, who is just sensational! Super glam, slightly irreverent and self-deprecating - she's just incredible. How different this feels from the way we put on the last one I remember watching as a 14 year old...
I think the BBC have done an amazing job. I was pleased that Suspilne (Ukrainian PSB) were name-checked last night by one of the presenters. It's not their fault they weren't allowed to host because of circumstances.

Because of the excellent stage performances, I have now changed my winning preference from Sweden to Cyprus. Big Grin

I am somewhat shallow in my decision making process regarding such events. I voted for that mangled tuneless diatribe from Greece, because my mate has a partner from Greece who hates it, was embarrassed, and even his Mother sent messages to me saying "don't vote for Greece"! Tongue

Eurovision is fun!