Help with deinterlacing DVD rips

I've played the encoded file that gives me that judder that I linked to in the original post in VLC, and I've played with VLC's own deinterlacing settings to see if that's having an effect, which it isn't. I've also put the video file on a USB stick and played it on an Xbox Series S just to rule out the issue being exclusive to my laptop/VLC, and the judder was still there on my TV. Just for safety, I played the DVD I ripped on my PS5 just to ensure it wasn't anything to do with the disc itself, but that played without the judder at 50fps (the spinning Nationwide clip I linked to span smoothly with no "skip" every half second or so) so the DVD definitely looks the way it's supposed to.

The one thing I can't rule out is if it's something to do with the DVD files after they've been ripped. I've tried two different DVD rippers as well as MakeMKV, and I don't have anything that plays VOB or ISO files that will also deinterlace without the frame rate being reduced to 25fps. I'd still rather have a file that plays in 50fps regardless where it's played, rather than rely on any filters in a video player that might not be replicated if I watch it elsewhere.

One thing I have noticed, now I'm looking out for it, is my own captures seem to have the same judder. These are shows I've captured myself from TV using a capture card recording at 50fps, and then edited/compressed in Premiere Pro. I've gone back to look at these and noticed that end credits are having that same jerky effect every half second like the clip I posted. As I say, it's only really noticeable during things like credits or panning shots with continuous movement. But those videos haven't gone anywhere near Handbrake...

As you say, I probably am going wrong somewhere or misinterpreting something obvious. I feel like I'm running out of options to try, though. Perhaps I'm just having a mental breakdown...?

Messages In This Thread
Help with deinterlacing DVD rips - by Larry the Loafer - 17-07-2023, 11:26 PM
RE: Help with deinterlacing DVD rips - by Neil Jones - 18-07-2023, 08:28 AM
RE: Help with deinterlacing DVD rips - by Larry the Loafer - 18-07-2023, 12:35 PM
RE: Help with deinterlacing DVD rips - by Larry the Loafer - 18-07-2023, 03:09 PM
RE: Help with deinterlacing DVD rips - by Neil Jones - 18-07-2023, 05:45 PM
RE: Help with deinterlacing DVD rips - by Larry the Loafer - 18-07-2023, 06:15 PM
RE: Help with deinterlacing DVD rips - by Jameseh - 18-07-2023, 07:08 PM
RE: Help with deinterlacing DVD rips - by James2001 - 18-07-2023, 10:24 PM
RE: Help with deinterlacing DVD rips - by Neil Jones - 19-07-2023, 08:06 AM
RE: Help with deinterlacing DVD rips - by Larry the Loafer - 19-07-2023, 12:50 PM
RE: Help with deinterlacing DVD rips - by harshy - 19-07-2023, 12:31 PM
RE: Help with deinterlacing DVD rips - by James2001 - 19-07-2023, 01:06 PM
RE: Help with deinterlacing DVD rips - by Larry the Loafer - 19-07-2023, 01:31 PM