Community Radio

(11-06-2024, 12:15 AM)lookoutwales Wrote:  As grand as their plans sound, one can't help but feel that a potential hyper-local service will be lost in favour of yet another attempt at reviving 'glory day' ILR radio.

Hampering them further still is they'll be on an FM licence which barely covers the Swansea Valley, let alone the city - and their ambition of getting onto small-scale DAB might be a while off yet, too.

The multiplex was awarded, then it was revoked because they couldn't go live within 18 months and only recently, has it been readvertised.

Add to that you've got Nation on their umpteenth attempt to make their Swansea FM licence work with yet another Swansea Bay Radio revival (featuring a couple of ex-SS/Wave presenters)

Laughable they think they'll get any traction with the signal not covering the city itself, although they might have been planning this on the assumption the SSDAB mux was on track to launch.

To be fair to Nation, their poaching of ex ILR DJs seems to be a lot more successful, especially with recent hire Kev Johns being as popular as he is in the region. Been hearing a lot more of Swansea Bay Radio playing in local businesses since theirs and The Wave's respective relaunches. Seems they might actually be on the right track with the licence this time around.

I will be fair to the new guys and give them a listen, but I've heard Tircoed before and I'm not counting on it being much better even with experienced DJs at the helm.
[-] The following 1 user Likes what's post:
  • lookoutwales

Messages In This Thread
Community Radio - by lookoutwales - 20-03-2024, 02:30 PM
RE: Community Radio - by Neil Jones - 20-03-2024, 08:46 PM
RE: Community Radio - by lookoutwales - 11-06-2024, 12:15 AM
RE: Community Radio - by what - 11-06-2024, 01:04 AM
RE: Community Radio - by Stooky Bill - 11-06-2024, 09:55 AM
RE: Community Radio - by lookoutwales - 19-06-2024, 08:58 AM
RE: Community Radio - by Jon - 19-06-2024, 02:20 PM
RE: Community Radio - by Spencer - 19-06-2024, 02:53 PM