Has the international news channel had its day?

(30-01-2023, 10:17 PM)sigma421 Wrote:  On the contrary, I fully understand this - my question is whether the place for an international channel aimed at an international audience is disappearing now that it's far easier for most people to pick up content from home (wherever that may be) than it once was.
Given BBC World News' weekly audience is claimed to be around 100m, I'd say it certainly has its place. As with anything, it'll continue to have such a place for as long as it fulfills a niche and BBC World News fills several. While there is certainly a shift to online news, it's important to remember that the shift to non-linear broadcasting is not as sharp outside the west and, even in the west, news (and sport) are some of the programmes holding up best. International news channels also benefit in being more curated news (as opposed to domestic rolling news) and by shifting audiences as the globe spins.

You also have to consider the BBC's competition. As a general news source for the English-speaking Commonwealth (Africa, parts of South Asia), its competitors are often not particularly trustworthy national broadcasters. Plus, from a news agenda perspective, the BBC has typically been regarded as one of the best at balancing world events based on news value rather than other concerns (though this does seem a bit imperilled with the merger). This in particular has always been a key driver for its growth in the US - serving those who are interested in international news (as opposed to the overly US-centric home broadcasters).

Messages In This Thread
Has the international news channel had its day? - by sigma421 - 30-01-2023, 03:24 PM
RE: Has the international news channel had its day? - by cityprod - 30-01-2023, 03:56 PM
RE: Has the international news channel had its day? - by DTV - 30-01-2023, 07:48 PM
RE: Has the international news channel had its day? - by sigma421 - 30-01-2023, 10:17 PM
RE: Has the international news channel had its day? - by DTV - 30-01-2023, 10:39 PM
RE: Has the international news channel had its day? - by harshy - 30-01-2023, 09:43 PM
RE: Has the international news channel had its day? - by DTV - 30-01-2023, 10:14 PM
RE: Has the international news channel had its day? - by Kojak - 19-03-2023, 08:35 PM