Will we regret the demise of linear TV channels ?

I do believe that we are going to get to the point where the TV channels we have will, eventually, reduce in number. However, I do believe that it is incredibly pessimistic to say that linear television is going to die, and that we will profoundly regret its demise. Simply put, I don't think Linear TV is going to go anywhere, but it is going to change. As mentioned, I think the number of channels will decrease. BBC and ITV will certainly close some of their channels: after all, people want boxsets of old shows nowadays, they're only going to watch repeats if they're on. No one actively searches for a repeat these days.

BBC One, BBC Two, ITV, Channel 4, and Channel 5 will eventually move towards appointment viewing. Television programming that you might not be able to see on streaming either right away, or at all: sports, concerts, movies, events. You may get the premiere of a certain show, then a promo for iPlayer, or ITVX, or All4 that says its all on there.

I can also see streaming services operate hybrid linear programming. Selections from various platforms aired on TV, or on a free-to-air channel with constant ads promoting a service

[Image: SAD%20BLU2.png]
[-] The following 1 user Likes Blubatt's post:
  • Rijowhi

Messages In This Thread