BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

(24-06-2024, 11:42 AM)Transmission Wrote:  In 1992 and 1997 you had the "Nine O'Clock News and Campaign Report" coming from a different set to usual, though in '97 it was just the one presenter rather than splitting up the election news and everything else between two desks.

youtu.be 

If that combination of voiceover and intro music isn't bombastic enough, the full Nine O'Clock News voiceover was even better:

youtu.be 
[-] The following 1 user Likes bilky asko's post:
  • chrisherald

(24-06-2024, 09:58 PM)James2001 Wrote:  At least it's only 5 minutes. ITV are stretching theirs out to 10, Channel 4 to 15 and Sky a full hour!

Wish I knew where to look, I'd be fascinated to see it! All I can find is a video of the 6AM handover from Thames and the first minute or so on TV Ark's facebook. Interesting that there were updates from the ITV companies... nearly a decade before regional bulletins during breakfast were common. Must have been some special networking arrangements for that morning.

Presumably they’d have just continued with the regions connected to their transmitters into the morning when they’d normally have been switched to TV-am. If Henry Kelly’s bits were coming from Camden Lock, I’d imagine that would have been as an outside source into ITN, and possibly any ad-breaks might have been played out this way too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spencer's post:
  • chrisherald

One of Thames News' opts into TV-am that morning is also on TV Ark - the seamless opting probably suggests the local TX crews at each ITV station were in place.

Of course, that year, some regions but not all - Anglia, for instance - stayed on air and filled the gap between ITN and TV-am with Bullitt.

There were also regional opts into TV-am in 1987 - xx:35 past the hour, followed by opts during ITN's programme at 9.35am, 11.20am, 12.20pm and 1.20pm. Think there might have been similar opts in 1992, but haven't been able to establish.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • Spencer

Interesting rumour that the BBC might be planning to stream all counts live. I think Sky did it in one of the more recent ones, so it wouldn't be the first time it has happened. I'd guess almost counts have some kind of BBC prescence via either network TV and radio, the nations or local radio, so it shouldn't be too much of a further stretch to provide it.

x.com 

This week's John Oliver will not be shown shown on Sky as it mainly covers the UK election. I doubt Ofcom would be too happy about it airing if this clip is a good example of the episode, so a wise decision (warning: very strong language).

x.com 
[-] The following 4 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, LargelyALurker, what

(24-06-2024, 10:52 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  One of Thames News' opts into TV-am that morning is also on TV Ark - the seamless opting probably suggests the local TX crews at each ITV station were in place.

Michael Barratt an interviewer there- he presented the breakfast portion of the 70 and 74 elections (though only the second half of the October 74 one was shown on BBC Parliament... probably all that was ever recorded of any of them).

Interesting to see how many people move around. As Alastair Burnet did a stopover on the BBc in 74 after presenting the previous three (and then the next three) for ITN. And Peter Snow moving to BBC in 1983 after having worked on ITN elections since 64.

(24-06-2024, 10:59 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Interesting rumour that the BBC might be planning to stream all counts live. I think Sky did it in one of the more recent ones, so it wouldn't be the first time it has happened. I'd guess almost counts have some kind of BBC prescence via either network TV and radio, the nations or local radio, so it shouldn't be too much of a further stretch to provide it.

x.com 

I know my local council has provided their own stream in the past- possibly the BBC will just be relaying some of those streams rather than doing their own everywhere.
[-] The following 3 users Like James2001's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, RhysJR

(24-06-2024, 10:59 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Interesting rumour that the BBC might be planning to stream all counts live. I think Sky did it in one of the more recent ones, so it wouldn't be the first time it has happened. I'd guess almost counts have some kind of BBC prescence via either network TV and radio, the nations or local radio, so it shouldn't be too much of a further stretch to provide it.

x.com 

Sky didn’t do them all - I think it was 250 and gave everyone a camcorder and a Live U.

Of course now you could just use smartphones (or pay a runner a fee to use theirs) which is cheaper, don’t need training and let the cloud do the rest.

Perfect time to get students just as they’re finishing the academic year and want something for the CV.
[-] The following 4 users Like peterrocket's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, RhysJR, Stuart

(24-06-2024, 10:59 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  This week's John Oliver will not be shown shown on Sky as it mainly covers the UK election. I doubt Ofcom would be too happy about it airing if this clip is a good example of the episode, so a wise decision (warning: very strong language).

x.com 

I'm confused. Apparently this episode can't be aired in the UK until after the election, but is this because of a general impartiality rule? I know there are strict rules on polling day itself but I didn't think something like this was flat out not allowed in the run up to an election.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Larry the Loafer's post:
  • chrisherald

(24-06-2024, 11:34 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  I'm confused. Apparently this episode can't be aired in the UK until after the election, but is this because of a general impartiality rule? I know there are strict rules on polling day itself but I didn't think something like this was flat out not allowed in the run up to an election.

John's show has seen edits made to it before by Sky - he even made fun of it, knowing him making fun of it wouldn't air in the UK - however I think it is available on his YouTube channel

I’m not sure about the impartiality rules in entertainment shows, as on Have I got news for you, they’ll say they have to be balanced, as a running gag, and then say something not balanced, such as a back handed compliment.

If The Last Leg was on air they would certainly be directing their jokes and Adam’s rants at one (or probably two these days) parties mostly with a small section for the others

Maybe Sky are just being cautious rather than outright not being able to broadcast it.