BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

(25-06-2024, 01:12 PM)TheGregmeister Wrote:  I'd have thought since John Oliver doesn't live in the UK anymore, is officially a U.S. Citizen and his show is made primarily for a US audience, that sweary rant at the Tories was rather pointless. He'd be better off directing all that potty mouthed vitriol at the big orange numpty who's very likely to be elected President again in later this year!

Anyway, that's beside the point of this thread (and possibly not entirely appropriate) so I'll leave it at that.
He presents an entertainment programme, the rant is entertaining no matter where you live so job done. Him ranting is a fairly regular feature of the show (and of course he's done several on Trump) , and in previous things he's been on*

In terms of explaining serious stuff and making it funny Last Week Tonight is still the best. What other American programme would fill 20+ minutes talking about a foreign news story?

*it's interesting to compare him and his former comedy partner Andy Zaltzman, he still runs the podcast he used to present with Oliver and on that he can say what he wants, but he's also presenter on Radio 4's topical comedy show The News Quiz. Very odd to hear him being all careful on one and a lot less so on the other
[-] The following 2 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • chrisherald, Transmission

Well at least we know who is presenting the GB News Election Coverage. I would've thought that Tom Harwood would be the presenter possibly alongside Camilla Tominey. I'm disappointed that they are not using the smart new studio layout but at the same time, I admire how they are trying to be different to the other channels.

www.tvzoneuk.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes KrazyKei's post:
  • TIGHazard

I daresay Oliver has more where that came from ready for the US Elections.

I would not be surprised if there was an unsaid/unwritten expectation that these clips will escape the geoblock and go viral in the UK.
[-] The following 2 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • TIGHazard, UTVLifer

More info about GB News coverage announced.

Stephen Dixon and Camilla Tominey hosting the main results show alongside Christopher Hope and Gloria De Piero, presumably cutting away throughout the night to join Christys and Dewberry at the watchparty.

Various GB News presenters and reporters involved (presumably across the UK) with Eamonn Holmes and Isabel Webster presenting Breakfast on the 5th. Looks like they've got a good mix of panellists in the studio too and Tom Harwood will be at the 'big screen'.

www.mediamole.co.uk 
[-] The following 1 user Likes TVViewer256's post:
  • TIGHazard

(25-06-2024, 01:25 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I wonder too how much the primary audience of the programme in America cares about the UK election. It’d be a bit like Adam Hills launching a big rant about Australian politics on The Last Leg. We’d probably all just shrug here.
Last Week Tonight often dedicates the main item on it's show to a foreign news story. The audience for it wouldn't watch if they didn't have an interest in long form explainers on current affairs.

The Last Leg wouldn't do a joke or 'rant' about Australian politics without the show doing an item explaining Australian politics first. If it's done well and it's interesting and entertaining then people will watch it and like it. They do it all the time - explain, joke, discuss, joke

That's what John Oliver did, it wasn't an isolated 'rant' it was the climax to a longer item

British audiences are more used to seeing items about foreign affairs then they are in the US, there Last Week Tonight is one of the few places on TV that does it
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • Happy2001

Turns out even though Sky can't show Last Wek Tonight on it's Ofcom regulated channels, it will be showing this week's episode on their steaming service because that isn't regulated. Kind of makes a nonsense of the rules really.

deadline.com 
[-] The following 4 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • chrisherald, Happy2001, RhysJR, TIGHazard

I can see a tightening up of these streaming rules coming soon. The same loopholes are why Newsmax is allowed on Freeview, as it's streamed rather than broadcast.

(25-06-2024, 01:25 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I wonder too how much the primary audience of the programme in America cares about the UK election. It’d be a bit like Adam Hills launching a big rant about Australian politics on The Last Leg. We’d probably all just shrug here.

Which would be ironic considering people are always moaning The Last Leg is tired and too anti Tories.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kim Wexler’s Ponytail's post:
  • UTVLifer

The temporary studios are starting to arrive on College Green with 9 days to go

x.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • chrisherald, gillw72, RhysJR

Although he has done rants about American politics on The Last Leg, although it’s usually just basic stuff about Trump rather than getting into any detail