BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

(25-06-2024, 04:49 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  The temporary studios are starting to arrive on College Green with 9 days to go

x.com 

LET ME JUST SAY BEFORE YOU READ THIS: I KNOW THIS WILL NEVER HAPPEN. I KNOW ITS PROTECTED. THIS IS SIMPLY AN IDEA. THAT IS ALL.
There is an underground parking entrance i believe just to the left of that image in Abingdon Street Gardens. I imagine something could be installed slightly elevated over the top of the entrance, leaving space for cars to still enter. But not too high so the surrounding building wont go crazy. You think that the broadcasters would be allowed to cobble together a unobtrustive semi-permanent platform structure that they all can use to broadcast up out of the way. Im postive its a protected area, but still, it has to function for 2024. Im mean after all they built the parking garage. They need something permanent with lights and power and direct wired internet and they are protected from the elements. Rather than having to alway bring all that in. But also their broadcasts aren't too negatively impacted by loud protesters with bull horns and such. (sorta the way the White has a semi-permanent area for the worlds media to assemble.) Its awful to watch broadcast from there and all you can hear is yelling.

Just a thought. Though i know its protected and such so they would never do it. I can see it just peeking above that wall a bit. If done sensitively...maybe. Like maybe completely glass structure... But Im sure the neighbouring places would all have a collective coronaries. (LOL)

www.google.com 

www.google.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes mouseboy33's post:
  • chrisherald

The wall to the left is grade 1 listed, so that probably can't happen - the actual green isn't protected except the statue on it, but the impact on the visibility of a G1/2 listed structure would probably lead to a planning refusal.

historicengland.org.uk 

At the time the car park was constructed, while it was listed the protection for listed buildings and structures wasn't as rigidly enforced as it is now.

Personally I think the current solution is ideal; but I also feel the needless OBs from parliament are a waste of resource. They bring nothing much to the story; most prospective MPs are in their constituency during the GE, arguably Downing Street and Buck House are more important places to show any action.
[-] The following 2 users Like Mike's post:
  • chrisherald, mouseboy33

I totally understand your viewpoint about the MPs being away during the GE, but its the UK seat of power.... you have be there. TV is visual. its a great backdrop if anything. Smile

And in any event, these booths they are getting nowadays is of course much better than the wobbly Costco-like garden marquees that they used before or just standing in the wind and rain getting wet. Poor guys

www.google.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like mouseboy33's post:
  • chrisherald, fatal paper cut

Any chance they might put up security features around the tempoary studios with a sturdy gate that only lets in TV crew, presenters, other staff, press ... etc, with security lanyards? All constructed in a way to ensure a certain banner waving, noise polluting, bl00dy nuisance, gets as little on-screen attention as possible, preferably none?!?
[-] The following 2 users Like TheGregmeister's post:
  • AndrewP, freeview87

You're talking about Nigel Farage? 😋
[-] The following 5 users Like James2001's post:
  • Brekkie, chrisherald, Spencer, thePineapple, Transmission

90% of the time covering political events live from College Green adds little to the coverage. The main event on Friday will be the arrival of the Prime Minister at Downing Street, so I'd imagine that will be where the later bulletins will co.e from.

Actually a long time since we had a change of Prime Minister on the day after the election - 1997 was the last time that happened as the Hung Parliament drew things out a few days in 2010 then since then the changes in PM's have not been as a result of a General Election.
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, octothorpe, UTVLifer

(25-06-2024, 08:56 PM)James2001 Wrote:  You're talking about Nigel Farage? 😋

LoL! You obviously knew I was really referring to someone who's the polar opposite of Farage ... and no that wasn't a WHOOOSH! that just went over my head there!

(25-06-2024, 07:41 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  I totally understand your viewpoint about the MPs being away during the GE, but its the UK seat of power.... you have be there. TV is visual. its a great backdrop if anything. Smile
There are currently no MPs. There is no elected Parliament, so very little point standing outside a largely empty building for a news report unless they intend to interview the staff doing maintenance work.

The Government still only exists because they hold Crown appointments. The 'seat of power' is technically the Cabinet Office at 9 Downing Street. They keep the wheels turning until 5 July, but without any actual power. Civil Servants follow rules until someone issues different ones.
[-] The following 3 users Like Stuart's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Stooky Bill

(25-06-2024, 09:21 PM)Stuart Wrote:  There are currently no MPs. There is no elected Parliament, so very little point standing outside a largely empty building for a news report unless they intend to interview the staff doing maintenance work.

The Government still only exists because they hold Crown appointments. The 'seat of power' is technically the Cabinet Office at 9 Downing Street. They keep the wheels turning until 5 July, but without any actual power.

Sorry to be pedantic, but actually 70 Whitehall is where the main power of the Cabinet Office lies - a place I have been to a few times over the years - 9 Downing Street is actually the press office and press briefing room - where in 2020 the Johnson government spent £2.6 million on the new press briefing room, which has rarely been used.
[-] The following 3 users Like JMT1985's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, UTVLifer

Nadine Dorries will be part of Channel 4's election night coverage. which feels like an invitation to give that one a hard pass if you're looking for a Nadine Dorries free alternative.
[-] The following 6 users Like Kim Wexler’s Ponytail's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, fatal paper cut, GMc, UTVLifer, WillPS