BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

Anyone else hate the use of the word “colleague” to refer to people who work at a rival?

Laura walking round the spin room referred to “broadcast colleagues” and “print colleagues”… but to me, that word is for people who work at the same organisation?
[-] The following 3 users Like Ash101's post:
  • chrisherald, Johnnie, Nobby

This is showing off how purple is a troublesome colour when it comes to how it looks different in print and video.

The straps look purple but the pull up banners look navy and the screens look a lighter blue.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Moz's post:
  • chrisherald

(26-06-2024, 09:37 PM)Ash101 Wrote:  Anyone else hate the use of the word “colleague” to refer to people who work at a rival?

Laura walking round the spin room referred to “broadcast colleagues” and “print colleagues”… but to me, that word is for people who work at the same organisation?

Nah they mean industry colleagues. Makes perfect sense as the London media's a small world and they all know each other, especially in Westminster.

Clive and Laura getting in each other's way with that spin room interview with James Cleverly and Wes Streeting.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Luc's post:
  • chrisherald

(26-06-2024, 09:51 PM)Luc Wrote:  Nah they mean industry colleagues. Makes perfect sense as the London media's a small world and they all know each other, especially in Westminster.

Clive and Laura getting in each other's way with that spin room interview with James Cleverly and Wes Streeting.
Why on Earth is this on BBC1? Surely this would usually be relegated to the News Channel or the live blog video stream - did the bosses realise the football was on the other side and couldn’t be bothered to find half an hour of filler more catered to the usual audience before the 10?

Truly, truly baffling scheduling decision.

I do hope Election Night on the BBC will not be like the Spin Room broadcast. I felt Laura Kuennsberg felt she was in charge and kept talking over Clive Myrie. It was not unlike Rishi Sunak talking over Keir Starmer in the debate. I’m not sure why it’s being a joint exercise when I would have expected Clive to anchor and Laura to do the political interviews in the way Robin Day or Jeremy Paxman always did.
[-] The following 3 users Like Newshound's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, UTVLifer

Did anyone else find the chemistry between Laura and and Clive a little forced.
[-] The following 7 users Like South's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, chrisherald, DeMarkay, Newshound, UTVLifer, Will

(26-06-2024, 10:02 PM)leewilliams Wrote:  Why on Earth is this on BBC1? Surely this would usually be relegated to the News Channel or the live blog video stream - did the bosses realise the football was on the other side and couldn’t be bothered to find half an hour of filler more catered to the usual audience before the 10?

Truly, truly baffling scheduling decision.
It's not very often a half hour filler on BBC1 would have the audience begging for them to just repeat another episode of Mrs Browns Boys.

The whole scheduling was a bit strange tonight, including airing the Lib Dem PEB straight before thanks to the news. They probably should have just curtailed the news to end at 8pm, kept the debate to an hour (either at 8 or 9) then aired something else in the other hour.

Tonight on BBC One, the prime ministerial debate. Then a programme about the prime ministerial debate you just watched. Then the news, where we will be talking about the prime ministerial debate, of which you just watched and then watched a programme about.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 8 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, DeMarkay, Jeff, Juicy Joe, leewilliams, Newshound, UTVLifer

A bit over the top tonight, besides the regional news, the debate has basically dominated the schedule from 7:15pm to 10:30pm and then another half hour on Newsnight on BBC Two
[-] The following 1 user Likes Andrew's post:
  • leewilliams

(26-06-2024, 10:07 PM)South Wrote:  Did anyone else find the chemistry between Laura and and Clive a little forced.

It definitely didn't need both of them (on a show that belonged on a news channel) but am assuming it was a bit of a dry run to get the audience used to them as a pair ahead of next week
[-] The following 6 users Like Luc's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Jeff, leewilliams, octothorpe, UTVLifer