BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

(27-06-2024, 12:10 AM)newsjunkie Wrote:  I didn't watch the programme, but I would presume that they included voices from other smaller parties there. They are required to reflect the views of the other parties in 'linked programming'. That is why ITV ran an interview programme at 10pm on the night their 'head to head' debate.

The programme featured interviews with representatives from the SNP and the Liberal Democrats.
[-] The following 1 user Likes AJB39's post:
  • UTVLifer

(26-06-2024, 11:36 PM)Ash101 Wrote:  Yeah but then I guess that's kind of the point? There's already a limited audience watching the debate because of the football on the other side, so they might as well keep some of those into 9:30 and then into News at 10...what would a random repeat of a half hour comedy have really achieved?

Fair point but we missed out on the fun of the schedule reading The Prime Ministerial Debate| Would I Lie to You?

Unsurprisingly, many more people watching the football. Even as something of a news junkie, I was watching ITV all evening.

twitter.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like Transmission's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, lookoutwales

(27-06-2024, 09:54 AM)Transmission Wrote:  Unsurprisingly, many more people watching the football. Even as something of a news junkie, I was watching ITV all evening.

A little OT but another decent rating for a non-Home Nations match, too - probably among the highest at this tournament.

And just as well - it was a proper fairytale football moment (especially compared to the ill-tempered game on ITV4)

I’ve personally avoided all of the debates to be honest - I get just as riled up afterward with the lazy, hackneyed ‘leaders clash at debate’ headline that certain journos are bound to use nine times out of ten.
[-] The following 5 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • AndrewP, leewilliams, nwtv2003, Transmission, UTVLifer

(27-06-2024, 09:54 AM)Transmission Wrote:  Unsurprisingly, many more people watching the football. Even as something of a news junkie, I was watching ITV all evening.

twitter.com 

But 2-3 million on a normal Wednesday would be considered the norm. Against the football that's actually pretty solid. As if a random repeat of Not Going Out would have fared any better.
[-] The following 7 users Like Kim Wexler’s Ponytail's post:
  • AJB39, bilky asko, chrisherald, Happy2001, Reith85, Spencer, TVFan

Yes, thats a solid performance. Wonder who watches though - are they appealing to voters who've not made up their minds or just to viewers already engaged in politics enough to know how they're voting and just want their opinion confirmed.

I assume they didn't have the 45 second time limit last night.
[-] The following 5 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Happy2001, Kim Wexler’s Ponytail, octothorpe

(27-06-2024, 11:31 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Yes, thats a solid performance. Wonder who watches though - are they appealing to voters who've not made up their minds or just to viewers already engaged in politics enough to know how they're voting and just want their opinion confirmed.

The format and style of these debates continues to drift towards the case of who can shout the loudest for the longest.

I saw the show last night and must admit I didn't see very much in the way of "debate", in fact I was half expecting the leaders to start thumping each other at some point.
[-] The following 3 users Like Neil Jones's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, fatal paper cut

Interesting new Deadline article on the election

Ian Rumsey mentions that Channel 4 had to build their programme, studio included, from scratch after Sunak announced the date

deadline.com 
[-] The following 4 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Happy2001, RhysJR

(27-06-2024, 11:31 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Yes, thats a solid performance. Wonder who watches though - are they appealing to voters who've not made up their minds or just to viewers already engaged in politics enough to know how they're voting and just want their opinion confirmed.

No 45 second time limit thankfully.
[-] The following 1 user Likes AJB39's post:
  • Happy2001

(27-06-2024, 11:44 AM)UTVLifer Wrote:  Interesting new Deadline article on the election

Ian Rumsey mentions that Channel 4 had to build their programme, studio included, from scratch after Sunak announced the date

deadline.com 

Yeah, interesting to hear they were planning for October and even had a studio booking pencilled in. Which makes their early announcement all the more odd. Also, reading between the lines, I get the impression Krishnan is somewhat relieved they're playing it straight this year.
[-] The following 3 users Like Kim Wexler’s Ponytail's post:
  • chrisherald, Reith85, UTVLifer