BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

(28-06-2024, 09:27 PM)Omnipresent Wrote:  On a nostalgia note, here's an extract of an edition of Biteback from 1992 which went behind the scenes of the BBC's Election Night coverage that year:

www.youtube.com 

You can see the workings of Peter Snow's new swingometer, the Birmingham OB unit trying to get the attention of London and deal with an impatient Roy Hattersley, and the results team fielding counts by telephone.

1992 for me has the best theme tune and opening sequence. Absolutely the best version of “Arthur” for me. Particularly the bit about 18 to 28 seconds in:

youtu.be 

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 3 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • matthieu1221, Rxtx, thePineapple

(28-06-2024, 08:02 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Unlikely that Jeremy Vine will be in the same studio as their own programmes. They'll need three spaces - my guess is S4C in the news studio, BBC1 in the aitrim and Jeremy in some sort of virtual studio. I don't know what they have in terms of studios there

I'd guess the production studio on the ground floor will probably be used by Jeremy (and maybe James Williams for the two Welsh shows)

There is another virtual studio at CS but it's a tiny two-camera space only used for things like Newyddion Ni, weather forecasts and whenever there's a bulletin clash between Newyddion and Wales Today.

Both of the Beeb's Senedd election shows made great use of several areas of the atrium last time round - which is probably what I think they'll do again.

At Llandaff, they had to split the main TV production studio into two to accommodate both shows, IIRC, with the mid-sized virtual studio located in a separate converted building.

I’d forgotten they’d actually dropped “Arthur” twice before, and only brought it back in 2019, although with the titles being largely the same imagery as 2015/2017

Apparently Jon Kay is presenting the ‘next day’ part of the election programme, with Sophie Raworth. Presumably this means it’ll be the first time Jon has presented from NBH for many a year
[-] The following 1 user Likes Andrew's post:
  • chrisherald

Is Breakfast airing in between the two shifts or is the election programme running throughout?

(29-06-2024, 12:09 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Is Breakfast airing in between the two shifts or is the election programme running throughout?

It goes right through with a just gap for the “One”

Jon Kay does seem like an unusual choice, but I suppose it has come about due to how short staffed the network team is these days and that they no longer have a ‘Dimbleby’ person and it’s all sourced from the regular bulletins team.

Unless as part of the new world of BBC News, the Friday part is coming from Salford
[-] The following 1 user Likes Andrew's post:
  • Brekkie

I expect the Friday part will probably come from Downing Street or College Green.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Transmission's post:
  • chrisherald

(29-06-2024, 12:24 AM)Transmission Wrote:  I expect the Friday part will probably come from Downing Street or College Green.

With a musical soundtrack and signs being held up presumably?

(29-06-2024, 12:35 AM)Andrew Wrote:  With a musical soundtrack and signs being held up presumably?

Haven't they had a more permanent studio at College Green in recent elections? By that, I mean like a one at a football stadium, with glass, seats and desk, like with Andrew Neil in 2015 below. Are we getting something like that being set up on College Green this year, or is it the open "with a musical soundtrack and signs" taht became common place in the Brexit coverage?

youtu.be 
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • chrisherald

(28-06-2024, 01:40 PM)LargelyALurker Wrote:  I’m sure I’m not the only one who tends to flick between the coverage on different channels, and iPlayer isn’t great for that.

I was thinking more of Sky than iPlayer which I agree is clunky for regional variations.

I tend to stick with one channel (although for a lot of recent elections etc I've been working on them so haven't had a choice!) because they all vary on what part of the story they're in and what they've discussed.

There'll often be a result or something said or a bit of analysis on one channel that another's already had or hasn't had yet. So flicking around I find I either miss something or get the same things twice.

Find it best to pick one and stay with it
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • AJB39