BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

(30-06-2024, 06:11 PM)thegeek Wrote:  I'll just get out my tiny violin for you. At least it's just a + button away, unlike viewers in Scotland.

It’s the symbolism of it, and also the complete waste of money for the BBC to be providing unnecessary duplicate coverage.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!

Considering it’s a Westminster election, should there be separate nations coverage at all?

What happens in Scotland is likely to be a fairly big talking point that it would get coverage on the national programme

There could probably be opt out points for a focus on the nations during the night
[-] The following 6 users Like Andrew's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, eyeTV, GeekyJames, Moz, Spencer

(30-06-2024, 06:03 PM)Moz Wrote:  Think it’s utterly ridiculous that because I live in Wales I have to watch my country’s national General Election on BBC Two.

Network should be on BBC One. Those interested in a Welsh spin on it should learn the language and watch on S4C if they care that much.

What an utterly ridiculous and disappointing comment from you Moz - our country's take on it is on BBC1. There are three easily accessible English/UK takes on events if you so desire.
[-] The following 5 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • arbrax, bkman1990, GeekyJames, LargelyALurker, Rob Francis

(30-06-2024, 07:08 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Considering it’s a Westminster election, should there be separate nations coverage at all?

What happens in Scotland is likely to be a fairly big talking point that it would get coverage on the national programme

There could probably be opt out points for a focus on the nations during the night

Have they had separate election programmes for the nations before?

Northern Ireland obviously warrants its own overnight show given it has its own different slate of political parties compared to England, Scotland and Wales

It’s just about justified for Scotland this time as they can focus on the dynamics between the SNP and the Scottish wings of the other parties
[-] The following 1 user Likes UTVLifer's post:
  • Stuart

They are absolutely justified in the nations, especially in the context of national elections in two years time where the incumbents are on shaky ground. It also means you get more relevant counts airing but you don't miss the the big UK stories either. Wales were lucky to have Huw Edwards lead many an election night before he moved to the network programme.

Any plans for any regional opts within the overnight broadcast in England?

(30-06-2024, 07:29 PM)Spencer Wrote:  Have they had separate election programmes for the nations before?
It's been the norm for a number of elections now, certainly since devolution.
[-] The following 8 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, GMc, Happy2001, Jeff, Spencer, UTVLifer

Here’s the first bit of content from the MNF studio in election mode.

The VR/AR stuff looks decent quality.

youtu.be 
[-] The following 6 users Like Andy's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, matthieu1221, Richard H, UTVLifer

(30-06-2024, 08:01 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Any plans for any regional opts within the overnight broadcast in England?
Unlikely, I don't think they've done them before, and with budgets lower it's unlikely this year.

Not much need for them, best for the regions to concentrate efforts on the Breakfast opts. I imagine the regions will have more than usual working on those and overnight. I worked at a region for a previous General Election and there was a lot of newsgathering effort overnight.

Unlike a regular day the breakfast bulletins can't be written and prepared the day before
[-] The following 5 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, chrisherald, Jeff, UTVLifer

They definitely did regional opts in the 70s and 80s, when BBC Parliament repeated them we saw the London and South East regional sections, but they mentioned that other viewers would be leaving for their own section then welcoming them back after.

I do seem to remember on at least one recent election we had regional news appearing on the ticker at some points, but no full on opts.

(Yesterday, 10:11 AM)James2001 Wrote:  They definitely did regional opts in the 70s and 80s, when BBC Parliament repeated them we saw the London and South East regional sections, but they mentioned that other viewers would be leaving for their own section then welcoming them back after.

I do seem to remember on at least one recent election we had regional news appearing on the ticker at some points, but no full on opts.
Not sure if we'd call it recent but 2005 has this. The recording on YouTube has London graphics appearing at various points (which inevitably are almost but not quite in line with the national graphics)
[-] The following 1 user Likes sigma421's post:
  • chrisherald