BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

(01-07-2024, 08:21 AM)Andy Wrote:  Here’s the first bit of content from the MNF studio in election mode.

The VR/AR stuff looks decent quality.
The Downing Street certainly looks orders of magnitude more impressive than even the BBC one from 2019, which IIRC was a bit PS2-like, with its low polygon count and low fidelity textures. Also good of Sky to simply have their big infographics screen change from one slide to the next without a touchscreen - I'm sure a drinking game can be organised around how many times Reeta has to double-click the touchscreen on Thursday. Think you also get a sneak peek of the Sky exit poll sequence on one of the screens behind Professor Jennings at the end of the clip.
[-] The following 5 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Jeff, octothorpe, UTVLifer

Election coverage preparations continue at PQ.

[-] The following 5 users Like ScottishTVGuy's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Ma76, matthieu1221, Stooky Bill

(01-07-2024, 08:21 AM)Andy Wrote:  Here’s the first bit of content from the MNF studio in election mode.

The VR/AR stuff looks decent quality.

youtu.be 

It definitely looks great.

However - and perhaps someone can explain this to me - does the VR/AR necessitate the constantly moving camera or is it a directing choice (see also the BBC indoor Euros studio)? The camera constantly moving, quite frankly, makes me feel a bit seasick at times.
[-] The following 2 users Like PJamo's post:
  • chrisherald, UTVLifer

(01-07-2024, 11:20 AM)PJamo Wrote:  However - and perhaps someone can explain this to me - does the VR/AR necessitate the constantly moving camera or is it a directing choice (see also the BBC indoor Euros studio)? The camera constantly moving, quite frankly, makes me feel a bit seasick at times.
I suspect it's a way of effectively saying "these aren't just static graphics overlayed on screen, as we move the camera they remain in a set place in the studio".

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 3 users Like Keith's post:
  • chrisherald, Jayesyn, Nobby

(01-07-2024, 10:11 AM)James2001 Wrote:  They definitely did regional opts in the 70s and 80s, when BBC Parliament repeated them we saw the London and South East regional sections, but they mentioned that other viewers would be leaving for their own section then welcoming them back after.

I do seem to remember on at least one recent election we had regional news appearing on the ticker at some points, but no full on opts.

For a few elections at least, the regions did a half hour special at 9am (until 2010, I think) and the Breakfast opts were a little longer than usual.

The first devolved GE show for Wales was, I think, in 2001 - presented by David Williams and Betsan Powys - and shown on BBC2 Wales. Think it was when Huw came on board to anchor that they switched to BBC1.

There was at least one election - think it was for the Assembly, as it was then - where instead of splitting a studio at Llandaff into two, they did it from two mini pavilion studios in Cardiff Bay (the sort you usually find on an Eisteddfod field, come to think of it)
[-] The following 4 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • Brekkie, chrisherald, Ma76, UTVLifer

(01-07-2024, 10:11 AM)James2001 Wrote:  They definitely did regional opts in the 70s and 80s, when BBC Parliament repeated them we saw the London and South East regional sections, but they mentioned that other viewers would be leaving for their own section then welcoming them back after.

I do seem to remember on at least one recent election we had regional news appearing on the ticker at some points, but no full on opts.

Back in the 60s, 70s and into the 80s, the BBC London/South East region had no dedicated regional news team, with the network presenters of Nationwide presenting their regional news, so during election night, it was no surprise that the network broadcast from London provided the opt outs for the London/SE region.

By 1987 election, BBC had launched London Plus, so the opt outs for that region improved, by 1992 election Newsroom South East was in full operation.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JMT1985's post:
  • Ma76

Channel 4 now has ident highlighting the election on the 4th

www.tvhome.co.uk 

Also there are some nice break bumper telling people aswell, its putting ITV to shame..

theident.gallery 

theident.gallery 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Milkshake's post:
  • chrisherald

I think Channel 4 have encouraged people to vote as part of its presentation before, maybe in 2019

I don’t think it would feel right ITV doing the same

E4 closed down for election day in 2015 to encourage young people to vote:
www.youtube.com 

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Josh's post:
  • chrisherald

Didn't E4 go off air for one election a few years ago?