BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

(02-07-2024, 10:03 PM)PATV Scunthorpe Wrote:  The Channel 4 set is going up, looks like they're reusing the same set as previous years
x.com 

Broadcast budgets have been decimated by ad/subs revenue decline all over the world. I doubt many established broadcasters will be splashing the cash on shiney new studio set designs
[-] The following 2 users Like Stockland Hillman's post:
  • Ma76, UTVLifer

Quite a scathing review of the election coverage from ex-BBC boss Roger Mosey, particularly of the BBC. I don't think I would be as strongly critical as he is here, but I can see where he is coming from to an extent.

www.newstatesman.com 
[-] The following 4 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • Bungo Bill, chrisherald, UTVLifer, xlalonce

(02-07-2024, 10:10 PM)Stockland Hillman Wrote:  Broadcast budgets have been decimated by ad/subs revenue decline all over the world. I doubt many established broadcasters will be splashing the cash on shiney new studio set designs
Surely costs more to keep a set in storage for 5 years than to just start from scratch too? Considering another change in production company and a change in format this time I'd be surprised if it was the same set.

Agree with those underwhelmed by ITV's set. Their virtual set in 2010 was so good but since then it's felt a bit underwhelming, though it's had nice elements. Will see how it comes together on the night - would be better if Anushka had a bit more space to play with for presenting graphics. I don't hate the desk but it feels rather boardroom esque.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • chevron, JMT1985

Yes, I think it's highly unlikely someone decided to keep a set in storage just in case it might be used again in anytime up to 5 years. They probably didn't even build it so it could be taken apart and used again.

I have no idea what their 2019 set looked like but I think any similarities will be coincidental, it's a completely different production. I don't think 2019s was even the same production company.

They look like just plain white bits of basic set in the photo
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • Stuart

Has there been any indication who will be the BBC's political panelists? I've seen names attached to ITV, C4 and Sky but not the BBC.

In the Radio Times, the only person mentioned for the BBC who isn’t on the payroll is Sir John Curtis

ITV has Osbourne, Balls and Sturgeon

Channel 4 has Dorries, Zahawi, Harman, Cable, Mhairi Black and Widdecombe (that’s Ann not Josh)
[-] The following 2 users Like Andrew's post:
  • chrisherald, UTVLifer

(02-07-2024, 10:47 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Yes, I think it's highly unlikely someone decided to keep a set in storage just in case it might be used again in anytime up to 5 years. They probably didn't even build it so it could be taken apart and used again.

I have no idea what their 2019 set looked like but I think any similarities will be coincidental, it's a completely different production. I don't think 2019s was even the same production company.

They look like just plain white bits of basic set in the photo
I did go back and look at pictures of the previous editions to check and it certainly looks similar, it's probably being remade from the existing plans.

Here's a wide shot from the 2017 programme, the layout and the cylindrical lights look pretty much the same.
up.metropol247.co.uk 
Web Image

Screenshot sourced from the a video on the Internet Archive
[-] The following 1 user Likes PATV Scunthorpe's post:
  • chrisherald

(02-07-2024, 10:53 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Has there been any indication who will be the BBC's political panelists? I've seen names attached to ITV, C4 and Sky but not the BBC.
The BBC (sensibly) doesn't have fixed pundits through the night, instead (and insensibly) having a never-ending rotation of politicians and interviews constantly for hours, missing key results, taking precedence over analysis.

With regards to the Mosey article, definitely agree on Husain being a better choice than Myrie/Kuenssberg, as well as the implication that the BBC's top-spot in the ratings is down more to it being the BBC than necessarily having the better programme.
[-] The following 5 users Like DTV's post:
  • Jeff, Ma76, RhysJR, UTVLifer, xlalonce

The BBC usually get in ministers or senior opposition MP's, some of which are often standing for election into the studio early on don't they? Presumably London based constituency candidates (or nearby) so not far from their own counts. Priti Patel & John McDonnell where there during the first hour in 2019.

There's no shortage of MP's who stood down this election, so I expect plenty of scope for talking heads in the rotation.
[-] The following 4 users Like eyeTV's post:
  • chrisherald, Ma76, Stuart, UTVLifer

(02-07-2024, 10:03 PM)steve Wrote:  Presume you mean this one?

x.com 

I’d be surprised if they were using green screen in a studio packed with, well, screens.
Is there a similar promo asking Clive why he loves Election night?
Flicked through his own Twitter feed and didn't see one... in fact his Twitter is quite sweet really...

I wonder if it was wise from the BBC to put Laura as the presenter of Election Night.
Feelings will inevitably be quite high, and for better or for worse she's not built the best reputation which will then reflect in the public's opinion of the BBC's reporting of the election as a whole.

I'll see if a similar promo for Clive comes out, but even the wording at the end of the tweet "join me and Clive" when the convention is normally the other way round suggests that we might have another 'spin room' debacle where they're both clamoring to talk over each other. I guess we'll see in two days.

Of course this is delving into pure speculation now; do edit my post if I've gone too far.

In terms of the Election build-up as a whole I think the radio news teams have outshone the television news.
Mishal Husain and Nick Robinson have really been the stars of the BBC's election coverage for me and I do hope especially Mishal gets used a lot more.

I tallied up the R4 schedule for Election Night yesterday and poor Nick is going to be on-air for around 14 hours if he starts with the Election Night simulcast at 9:45 and goes on through Today until midday!

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...
[-] The following 5 users Like AndrewP's post:
  • chrisherald, Ma76, RhysJR, UTVLifer, xlalonce