BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

They really missed an opportunity with the start of that promo to twirl down the staircase instead of entering the studio the back way!
[-] The following 2 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • chrisherald, UTVLifer

(02-07-2024, 10:47 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Yes, I think it's highly unlikely someone decided to keep a set in storage just in case it might be used again in anytime up to 5 years. They probably didn't even build it so it could be taken apart and used again.

I have no idea what their 2019 set looked like but I think any similarities will be coincidental, it's a completely different production. I don't think 2019s was even the same production company.

They look like just plain white bits of basic set in the photo

2015, 2017 and 2019 were co-productions with ITN.

Some of the set is reused, including the main desk, but there is a new desk, different audience and upgraded screens.
[-] The following 6 users Like chris's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Ma76, mark, thePineapple, UTVLifer

The only bit of Channel 4's set from previous years that I didn't like was the cheap-looking L-shaped desk - so, if that's, being replaced, I think it'll all look pretty good.

I don't mind them reusing a decent set if it only gets an outing every few years - it's not like ITV, where the election set is more or less the same as the one they've used every day for the last 10 years, with only slight updates over that time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mark's post:
  • chrisherald

Is the C4 programme having an audience - well to start with at least.

Quite interesting to see that GMB coverage on Friday finishes at 9.25am before they return back to ITN.

Finishing at the contractual end of the Breakfast licence which they haven’t done since Lorraine was extended to 10am in 2020.
[-] The following 7 users Like RDJ's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, chrisherald, Ma76, octothorpe, thePineapple, UTVLifer

(02-07-2024, 10:34 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Quite a scathing review of the election coverage from ex-BBC boss Roger Mosey, particularly of the BBC. I don't think I would be as strongly critical as he is here, but I can see where he is coming from to an extent.

www.newstatesman.com 

I don't watch BBC News at all so can't directly comment. We do watch C4 news and ITN's NAT. I'm broadly in agreement with Mosey's comments. Night after night I've found myself muttering at the telly - "That's not news" or "That's gossip" or "That's your opinion, it's not news". We have been badly let down by PSB news operations, far too often they pursue a particular narrative and if it doesn't fit it - they don't broadcast it. Partial instead of impartial, herding voters in one direction and not the other. And people don't even realise they're being manipulated it's so subtle.

I'm old enough not to worry about it, I'll be gone. But I really do fear for the young. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but in my opinion Ofcom has singularly failed to show leadership and general intervention here.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bluecortina's post:
  • Brekkie, Milkshake, what

(03-07-2024, 08:48 AM)Bluecortina Wrote:  I don't watch BBC News at all so can't directly comment. We do watch C4 news and ITN's NAT. I'm broadly in agreement with Mosey's comments. Night after night I've found myself muttering at the telly - "That's not news" or "That's gossip" or "That's your opinion, it's not news". We have been badly let down by PSB news operations, far too often they pursue a particular narrative and if it doesn't fit it - they don't broadcast it. Partial instead of impartial, herding voters in one direction and not the other. And people don't even realise they're being manipulated it's so subtle.

I'm old enough not to worry about it, I'll be gone. But I really do fear for the young. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but in my opinion Ofcom has singularly failed to show leadership and general intervention here.
I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but I am going to accuse major broadcasters of a conspiracy to manipulate the public* and not substantiate that claim in any respect.

*and by manipulate the public, I think everybody understands, not big up and dare to report critically the party I support.
[-] The following 5 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, bai4943, chrisherald, Manclad83, Rxtx

(03-07-2024, 08:00 AM)chris Wrote:  2015, 2017 and 2019 were co-productions with ITN.

Some of the set is reused, including the main desk, but there is a new desk, different audience and upgraded screens.

I don't think I've seen confirmation of where the C4 programme is coming from, Pinewood?

(03-07-2024, 09:36 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  I don't think I've seen confirmation of where the C4 programme is coming from, Pinewood?

Pinewood is where The Last Leg are coming from live on Friday - Pinewood has two large TV studios so it is possible for the election coverage to be in the other studio.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JMT1985's post:
  • chrisherald

(02-07-2024, 09:04 PM)alfiejmulcahy Wrote:  Looks like the green screen in the BBC promo is directly opposite the presenters.

So it's probably there to allow them to do the customary big screen....

You don't need a green screen to do a virtual big screen - indeed they were doing basic ones in N9 back in the day. These days with AR you don't even need to keep your shot static.

(03-07-2024, 09:36 AM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  I don't think I've seen confirmation of where the C4 programme is coming from, Pinewood?

I thought the news article had mentioned a studio in West London - I'd assumed Riverside, but the lighting grid in the tweet looks a bit more lightweight than the one in the picture of Studio 1 at the bottom of tvstudiohistory.co.uk 
[-] The following 2 users Like thegeek's post:
  • chrisherald, Ma76