BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

(02-07-2024, 11:39 PM)AndrewP Wrote:  I wonder if it was wise from the BBC to put Laura as the presenter of Election Night.
Feelings will inevitably be quite high, and for better or for worse she's not built the best reputation which will then reflect in the public's opinion of the BBC's reporting of the election as a whole.
I seem to recall Private Eye eluding to this being part of the reason for Clive co-presenting the coverage. They also suggested that Laura was kept as presenter for the general election, as to drop her a few months after her covering the local elections would be seen as a massive snub. Audiences also don't have the same level of perceived political bias with Clive.

(02-07-2024, 11:39 PM)AndrewP Wrote:  Mishal Husain and Nick Robinson have really been the stars of the BBC's election coverage for me and I do hope especially Mishal gets used a lot more.
They both seem to have been widely praised (or at least not widely criticised) for the election TV output that they've been involved with.

I'm guessing the timing of this election has been a factor in the presenters used. As an autumn GE was predicted I imagine some staff had booked holidays for June/July, making them unavailable unless they were able to hastily reschedule their leave. I also think the suspension and then departure of Huw left a gap in the BBC's plans, particularly as he didn't officially leave until April.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 3 users Like Keith's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Ma76

(03-07-2024, 11:38 AM)Keith Wrote:  I'm guessing the timing of this election has been a factor in the presenters used. As an autumn GE was predicted I imagine some staff had booked holidays for June/July, making them unavailable unless they were able to hastily reschedule their leave. I also think the suspension and then departure of Huw left a gap in the BBC's plans, particularly as he didn't officially leave until April.
Given that a handover of power is pretty much nailed on this time, the following morning is arguably a bit of a bigger deal than it is normally. Today went off air as normal at 9am after the 2019 election and was extended until 10am after 2017 (which may have been ad-hoc given the result, I'm unsure). Running through to midday is a bit of a change!
[-] The following 3 users Like sigma421's post:
  • Jeff, Ma76, UTVLifer

(03-07-2024, 11:38 AM)Keith Wrote:  I'm guessing the timing of this election has been a factor in the presenters used. As an autumn GE was predicted I imagine some staff had booked holidays for June/July, making them unavailable unless they were able to hastily reschedule their leave.
It has been a bit of an issue in Scotland where this week is the first week of the school holidays. Of course that's not just affected the media, but those involved in the election too.

The SNP in particular have criticised the timing, they certainly wouldn't have called it for the last week in July
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • chrisherald

thegeek ' Wrote:  I thought the news article had mentioned a studio in West London - I'd assumed Riverside, but the lighting grid in the tweet looks a bit more lightweight than the one in the picture of Studio 1 at the bottom of tvstudiohistory.co.uk 

Those plans were of the BBC studios …… not the new tv studio 1 at RVTS
www.riversidetv.co.uk 
www.riversidetv.co.uk 

And the ad hoc use of Studios 2&3 at the riverside studios
riversidestudios.co.uk 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Technologist's post:
  • chrisherald

(03-07-2024, 11:48 AM)sigma421 Wrote:  Given that a handover of power is pretty much nailed on this time, the following morning is arguably a bit of a bigger deal than it is normally. Today went off air as normal at 9am after the 2019 election and was extended until 10am after 2017 (which may have been ad-hoc given the result, I'm unsure). Running through to midday is a bit of a change!
Followed by 'The World at One'.... at 12:00 Big Grin

5 Live have election coverage until 16:30, the same time as BBC1 ends it's coverage. I imagine by that point everyone will be thoroughly had enough and everything that could be said has been said.

Aaargggggghhh, so much election coverage coming up. So much to watch and listen to, there's just not enough time to consume it all. I'll just have to catch up with the box sets at the weekend Big Grin Cool
[-] The following 6 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • AJB39, AndrewP, chrisherald, Jeff, octothorpe, Stuart

The BBC's latest attempt to be hip and groovy and relevant to the yoof.

www.bbc.co.uk 

Quote:The BBC is bringing the General Election to Roblox – with Larry the Downing Street cat arriving to set players challenges from number 10, as well as familiar faces from BBC News including Laura Kuenssberg, Clive Myrie, and Jeremy Vine being added to the BBC’s Wonder Chase experience.

Outside Number 10, players will be challenged by Larry to find ballot boxes across the game. Once they’ve returned enough he will become their pet. Throughout the game players will learn interesting and fun facts about elections from the BBC’s election team characters.

This stuff clearly isn't aimed at the likes of me -- but I'm genuinely struggling to imagine any young person being excited or even remotely interested in this.
[-] The following 2 users Like LDN's post:
  • ACTV, chrisherald

(03-07-2024, 01:55 PM)LDN Wrote:  The BBC's latest attempt to be hip and groovy and relevant to the yoof.

www.bbc.co.uk 

This stuff clearly isn't aimed at the likes of me -- but I'm genuinely struggling to imagine any young person being excited or even remotely interested in this.

The scene at broadcasting house:

[-] The following 6 users Like James2001's post:
  • ACTV, AndrewP, chrisherald, LargelyALurker, LDN, xlalonce

(02-07-2024, 10:42 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Surely costs more to keep a set in storage for 5 years than to just start from scratch too? Considering another change in production company and a change in format this time I'd be surprised if it was the same set.

Hmmm... not necessarily. Keeping a flat pack set in cheap storage for an event that definitely will happen at some point over the next five years - potentially much sooner (2019), and called at short notice (6 week warning this time), probably is significantly cheaper than commissioning a set designer to work alongside lighting designers (and probably many more people) to design, build and test a set with a short turnaround. You're also risking availability of these people doing right at the last minute as well.

The production company changed from 2017 to 2019 but used the same set. It's possible the set is owned by C4 itself for this reason.

It's normal for a production company to pay to keep sets in storage until a show is officially axed and there's absolutely no chance of it coming back elsewhere as a set design and build is a bigger cost than what they'd lose due to storing a set that instead needs to be scrapped.
[-] The following 3 users Like gottago's post:
  • Brekkie, chrisherald, octothorpe

As mentioned in the UEFA thread yesterday it's now been confirmed that on Friday ITV1 will show the 4pm match, whilst BBC One will show the 8pm match.

As a result Question Time has been pushed back to 11.10pm. I'm assuming that it might still go out live at 8pm via the iPlayer. I wonder if the News Channel might be tempted to show it live, as it lists election special coverage in the evening, which I'm assuming is a UK opt-out.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Keith's post:
  • chrisherald

(03-07-2024, 01:55 PM)LDN Wrote:  The BBC's latest attempt to be hip and groovy and relevant to the yoof.

www.bbc.co.uk 

I think it's commendable the BBC is trying to get younger audiences to engage with the election. It's exactly the sort of thing the Corporation should be doing.
[-] The following 6 users Like Otis Crump's post:
  • AndrewP, arbrax, Jeff, Kim Wexler’s Ponytail, Mort, Tvarchive