The TV Gameshow Thread

The CA said to look out for a familiar face, and then said, "remember, Big Brother is watching you." Having not watched BB, I just thought that was a weird introduction. I'm not sure what the difference is between BB's and 1%'s viewing figures, but I do wonder how many other people were left scratching their heads.

(26-05-2024, 04:20 PM)Larry the Loafer Wrote:  The CA said to look out for a familiar face, and then said, "remember, Big Brother is watching you." Having not watched BB, I just thought that was a weird introduction. I'm not sure what the difference is between BB's and 1%'s viewing figures, but I do wonder how many other people were left scratching their heads.
Big Brother didn’t really break the 2 million mark (apart from maybe launch night), that said I’m sure much more than that number will have watched some of the series so would be aware of her, although I’m sure there is a significant amount of viewers of that show who didn’t.

I think the 1% Club probably gets double that 2 million from what I remember.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • Larry the Loafer

Puzzling axed.

www.dailystar.co.uk 

With Eggheads also biting the dust (apparently), will Channel 5 just not bother with quiz shows in future?

Shame. We enjoyed Puzzling… it had better and worse parts, but I guess the biggest compliment was that Channel 5 actually let it finish its original run in its original timeslot!

I notice stories abound about The 1% Club and allegations of cheating - even though the person in question who was apparently cheating was eliminated earlier in the game? I'm pretty sure that if you get knocked out in that show you can't win anything, apart to sit in a blue light for the rest of taping?

Seems like most of the tabloids have picked this up, and then a Daily Fail article about this being the "latest in long line of game show outrages", which is blatant hyperbole if ever I heard it. Their list includes Charles Ingram, John Cooper (even though the issue was discovered two decades later), somebody who won a fortune on Deal or No Deal and then didn't declare it to the DWP (making it not even an issue of the gameshow), the lady who stiffed somebody for £100k on Golden Balls by stealing the lot and a former criminal who won on Red or Black.

I fail to see how any of these are "outrages" that happened at the time, save for maybe Ingram but everything else was post first transmission. But then this is the Daily Fail who have claimed at various points anything that physically exists can cause cancer so...

You've spent more time talking about the Daily Mail than the story you are actually talking about. I'm still none the wiser as to what cheating you are referring to.
[-] The following 2 users Like Nobby's post:
  • bilky asko, Joe

The incident on Golden Balls was part and parcel of the show but can still be considered outrageous.

Most issues are found out about after the fact because the people wanting to deceive aren't going to out themselves before or whilst in the act such is their mindset.

The couple on The 1% Club being eliminated already doesn't mean they couldn't have cheated before, thereafter nor does it mean they had cheated. There could be another person(s), signal(s) involved, or not. It's likely just coincidence that the guy was rubbing his ears at the same time as a question with ear as the answer.

There is probably more chance that clip was taken from another point in the recording than them actively cheating.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Nobby

If the contestants in question felt strongly enough to argue that was indeed the case, I'm sure they could and it would be someone from the show at fault if that's what was found, but it seems that the guy is acknowledging it happened during that particular question. Doesn't mean it was or it wasn't important. Hey ho.

(30-05-2024, 05:06 PM)Nobby Wrote:  You've spent more time talking about the Daily Mail than the story you are actually talking about. I'm still none the wiser as to what cheating you are referring to.
A contestant touched his ears, when "ear" happened to be the answer to the question. But he and his wife had both already been eliminated, so what reason would he have to cheat?