BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

(03-07-2024, 10:11 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  In 24 hours time it'll all be over bar the counting and we'll all know the results of the exit poll(s).

Does anyone know if it's a joint exit poll for BBC/ITN/Sky as previous elections?

This report about the exit poll on Sky News referenced themselves, the BBC and ITV News.

news.sky.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like Spencer's post:
  • chrisherald, RhysJR, Stooky Bill

Same on Newsnight now - reference ITV rather than ITN. To be fair I suspect it cones out of the ITV budget.

Not sure how C4 handled the exit poll previously.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald

(03-07-2024, 11:04 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Same on Newsnight now - reference ITV rather than ITN. To be fair I suspect it cones out of the ITV budget.

Not sure how C4 handled the exit poll previously.
Regardless of the technicalities of who is paying, the print media freeload off it anyway, so not sure it's an issue - as with any poll, once it's published, anybody can report it. The only questions would be whether they get the embargoed data beforehand and, if so, whether they have access to the more detailed data or can only report the headline seat tallies. I'm not aware of any of the Exit Poll team going to work on C4 after they're released from the bunker, while they definitely are for ITV and Sky (as well as one with CNN).
[-] The following 2 users Like DTV's post:
  • chrisherald, WillPS

(03-07-2024, 11:16 PM)DTV Wrote:  Regardless of the technicalities of who is paying, the print media freeload off it anyway, so not sure it's an issue - as with any poll, once it's published, anybody can report it. The only questions would be whether they get the embargoed data beforehand and, if so, whether they have access to the more detailed data or can only report the headline seat tallies. I'm not aware of any of the Exit Poll team going to work on C4 after they're released from the bunker, while they definitely are for ITV and Sky (as well as one with CNN).

I'd make a good guess that only those that the exit poll has been commissioned on behalf of get the data beforehand. The only evidence I have for this is the most recent Irish general election, from which emerged an excruciating clip online of a network that was clearly reading out the exit poll results only as they were reported on another network.
[-] The following 1 user Likes octothorpe's post:
  • chrisherald

As per all election days, after weeks on non-stop election related coverage, the news channels enter a parallel world until just before 10pm.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Keith's post:
  • chrisherald

I was just remembering 2010's polling day, when Nigel Farage's plane crashed after the 'vote UKIP' banner it was towing got tangled in the propeller. The confusion from the news channels about what they could and couldn't report about the incident was palpable.
[-] The following 3 users Like thegeek's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, thePineapple

(03-07-2024, 11:04 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Not sure how C4 handled the exit poll previously.
At 10pm in 2019, Krishnan padded for a few seconds before a basic graphic that just said 'Conservative majority' appeared, which suggests they didn't have any early access to the data and needed a few seconds to select or key the relevant outcome after it was announced elsewhere. The seat projections appeared a little later.

youtu.be 
[-] The following 2 users Like mark's post:
  • Brekkie, chrisherald

(04-07-2024, 06:34 AM)Keith Wrote:  As per all election days, after weeks on non-stop election related coverage, the news channels enter a parallel world until just before 10pm.

Will they run the two channels today or just the merged version? If there is anyday to concentrate on international news it's today.

Early parts of the BBC election result website are now up via the Constituencies A-Z. Largely a similar layout to recent local elections, but with a clear purple banner across the top of the page.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DTV's post:
  • chrisherald

(04-07-2024, 07:52 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Will they run the two channels today or just the merged version? If there is anyday to concentrate on international news it's today.

Thus far from 9am they are running the merged channel from Studio C on both feeds.
[-] The following 3 users Like AJB39's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, oscillon