The TV Gameshow Thread

Why did they call it Beat the Bridge instead of Bridge of Lies?

Because they don't think Americans know enough about geography to get the pun?

(11-06-2024, 05:27 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  It's a pity Cowell's other show Walk The Line turned out the way it did as it could have replaced The Voice and grew its audience. Probably ITV's best chance of beating Strictly again.

Yes the basic idea of having a singing gameshow, with all the beats of something like Millionaire (or maybe Beat the Chasers with a panel making cash offers based on performance) but with singing/performing instead of quizzing, is not a bad one. I think there’s definitely something in it. But unfortunately the version of Walk the Line that aired was really half baked and needed significantly more development to get where it needed to be. I’m not sure they piloted it and it shows. It also sounds like chaos behind the scenes with Cowell dropping out late on. A shame as it’s probably killed the idea completely.

(11-06-2024, 05:52 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Is there a series of Catchphrase in the can considering it didn't air in January?

Yes, 14 episodes airing this Autumn according to ITV Media. Saturdays around 6pm I guess.
[-] The following 2 users Like Score's post:
  • Brekkie, Happy2001

(12-06-2024, 12:14 AM)James2001 Wrote:  Because they don't think Americans know enough about geography to get the pun?
What pun? It's called Bridge of Lies because of some of the answers on the bridge being lies.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JAS84's post:
  • Nobby

I
(13-06-2024, 03:29 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  What pun? It's called Bridge of Lies because of some of the answers on the bridge being lies.

It's a play on Bridge of Sighs...

en.wikipedia.org 

Catch me on:
Andover Radio: Weekdays from 7am-10am
Overton Radio: Weekdays 2pm-4pm, Weekends 8am-10am
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rob Francis's post:
  • JAS84

Being more into entertainment than geography and never having heard of the landmark, I thought it was a pun on the film Bridge of Spies.
[-] The following 2 users Like tellyblues's post:
  • JAS84, Nobby

(11-06-2024, 05:27 PM)tellyblues Wrote:  It's a pity Cowell's other show Walk The Line turned out the way it did as it could have replaced The Voice and grew its audience. Probably ITV's best chance of beating Strictly again.

That was a disaster of a show. I always got the impression it was commissioned on Simon Cowell’s name only and they didn’t actually decide what the format of the show was until nearer filming. Any press release talking about was very vague. Then Simon dropping out and being replaced by Gary Barlow who Simon has made no secret of not liking since his stint on The X Factor was just weird.

www.thesun.co.uk 

Couldn't not see this getting another run because of who's involved and most shows will get recommissioned nowadays if they aren't a complete disaster, and it also buys ITV some time to find a replacement.