BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

(04-07-2024, 10:23 PM)Hadrien Wrote:  Is it me or does the text look very slightly off on the BBC? It sort of feels like the awful font rendering on Google Chrome

I've noticed that - especially the Live straps at the counts on the right hand side. It looks a bit MS Paint.
[-] The following 2 users Like bilky asko's post:
  • interestednovice, oscillon

(04-07-2024, 10:23 PM)Hadrien Wrote:  Is it me or does the text look very slightly off on the BBC? It sort of feels like the awful font rendering on Google Chrome

They're fine when static, but the motion does look a bit jittery. I wonder if these are being rendered in HTML?
[-] The following 4 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • bilky asko, chrisherald, interestednovice, warbler

Can I also point out all the extra feeds that you can see on BBC iPlayer this year, including Watch Your Count Live
www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 6 users Like NickyS's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice, Ma76, thegeek, thePineapple, TVFan

Angela Rayner doing the rounds, BBC (with brolly), ITV (no brolly) and Sky (with brolly). Been on Channel 4 yet?
[-] The following 2 users Like AxG's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice

(04-07-2024, 10:12 PM)AverageOrangeTurnip Wrote:  Watching the BBC coverage and can't help miss double headed presentation - Laura and Clive are working quite well together too. I also think the purple looks really smart - refreshing and modern with the lower thirds too.
Given the length of the broadcast it's surprising they've largely been single headed in the past.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice, Ma76

I'm liking the BBC's wide-screen graphics. I'm guessing the live feeds are helping to give a sense of activity until results start coming in.

The use of the BBC's Scotland and Wales buildings for the election coverage presumably makes it easier to have political representatives from the nations. I dare say that may also benefit the BBC politically being seen to be broadcasting from the nations.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 7 users Like Keith's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice, Jeff, Ma76, Omnipresent, Reith85, thePineapple

Can't get over the bizareness of Nadine Dorries - the Nadine Dorries who passionately wants to privatise Channel 4 - being one of the main panelists for Channel 4's coverage tonight.
[-] The following 4 users Like Jeff's post:
  • chrisherald, Ma76, Omnipresent, oscillon

The chair backs on itv are causing an awful moire effect with the CSO.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 1 user Likes Moz's post:
  • chrisherald

I'm feeling like a bit of an idiot at this stage, because after all these weeks, I only just realised the BBC's logo is an abstract "24"...
[-] The following 7 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • Alessi, bkman1990, chrisherald, EastCoast, interestednovice, Ma76, Newshound

I think some of the text needs anti-aliasing - the LIVE captions and the animated secondary text under the headline seem to be two areas where the text is rather jagged around the edges at times. This could be due to some of the systems they are having to use tonight - i.e. it's probably having to compute a lot more ad hoc, live info than graphics you would expect on the normal news for example. But on the whole, the layouts used work well together and seem to be well thought-out.

If this is a sign of the new style being rolled out to BBC News, I do hope that they haven't completely abandoned the Serif version of Reith as I do think it does add a nice contrast to the sans serif.
[-] The following 4 users Like Earlie37's post:
  • chrisherald, interestednovice, Jeff, Ma76