General Bauer Radio Discussion

(12-06-2024, 01:32 AM)HarveyB Wrote:  Could Bauer not have just simply left the Heritage Local Stations alone, and instead built up new National Stations from the ground up? I have have nothing against them putting off peak local programming onto national stations, but they've done it in the completely wrong way. They should have never killed off the Local Heritage Stations in my Opinion

They might have had no issue building up GHR purely on DAB, even with Ken Bruce. I know it's the same way Global did it in the late 00s/early 10s, but digital listening has come so far I'd argue doing it the same way now wasn't exactly necessary.

Considering in Cornwall GHR was digital only when it launched after they took over UKRD, it seems their target audience is for FM so when Pirate went for HITS, they obviously felt that younger listeners are likely to listen on DAB or online, while older listeners are likely to listen on FM, so for them it makes commercial sense to switch the two stations around. I'm not that keen on HITS, but occasionally listen to GHR. However, if I'm out and about and want local info, I'll listen to another station instead that is at least live and local all day...

~SpacewardAsh

(12-06-2024, 11:17 AM)SpacewardAsh Wrote:  Considering in Cornwall GHR was digital only when it launched after they took over UKRD, it seems their target audience is for FM so when Pirate went for HITS, they obviously felt that younger listeners are likely to listen on DAB or online, while older listeners are likely to listen on FM, so for them it makes commercial sense to switch the two stations around. I'm not that keen on HITS, but occasionally listen to GHR. However, if I'm out and about and want local info, I'll listen to another station instead that is at least live and local all day...

Not only that, but they'd managed to accumulate 68k listeners through being a DAB and online only station, which is an impressive performance, even before they took over the FM frequencies.