GB News

(21-05-2024, 04:31 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  It's not exactly the same as it was pre-Talk TV, they are producing more online only content, Piers Morgan for example

nothing to do with Talk, it's made by News UK separately. But you're right, that content is not regulated by OFCOM.

(21-05-2024, 04:31 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  It's not exactly the same as it was pre-Talk TV, they are producing more online only content, Piers Morgan for example

The same as LBC. They're regulated by Ofcom but have podcasts like Newsagents, presented by three left wingers, which wouldn't be allowed on the radio station.

So, what happens now? Purdah presumably gets entered this time next week, and anyone still seeking to be an MP is forbidden from broadcasting by equal time. Not to mention OFCOM will presumably be on heightened sensitivity as every activist starts trying to get their opponents in trouble. How easy will it be for GBNews to actually get a fully compliant day's programming on with their current staff?

So recent precedent is for the purdah period to start 25 working days before the Election, which I make to be next week.

It's that the point at which Rees-Mogg needs to stand down as a presenter or is it the point at which he is formally confirmed as a candidate?

In light of yesterday's general election news I assume GB News will have a fee less presenters available until July, depending on which are standing for reelection. (They may have a few more former politicians available afterwards.)

Have Ofcom's election rules now kicked in, or does that only take effect from Friday? GB News will presumably feel a bit different, as they'll know that Ofcom (and some viewers) will be watching for rule breaking.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Keith's post:
  • UTVLifer

x.com 

Would he have been allowed to continue if he didn't choose to step down voluntarily as 'honorary president' of Reform? Guess that solves that potential issue though for both OfCom and GBNews.

Looks like the situation will get even more complex re: recent decisions by OFCOM. GB News looking into launching legal action against them:

www.bbc.co.uk 

I think only Jacob Ress-Mogg and Lee Anderson will be legally forced to step back from GB News during the campaign.

(23-05-2024, 12:16 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  So recent precedent is for the purdah period to start 25 working days before the Election, which I make to be next week.

It's that the point at which Rees-Mogg needs to stand down as a presenter or is it the point at which he is formally confirmed as a candidate?

Purdah officially begins the day that Parliament is dissolved, which in this case will be 30th May.

I think it's already been confirmed that JRM will be standing again in his constituency, so I would expect his last programme to be on or before 29th May.

(23-05-2024, 12:34 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  x.com 

Would he have been allowed to continue if he didn't choose to step down voluntarily as 'honorary president' of Reform? Guess that solves that potential issue though for both OfCom and GBNews.
In terms of election rules it's only a problem if he's standing for election, which he's announced today he's not.

Even if it was I imagine the role of President, let alone Honoury President is suitably vague to get round such issues. I don't think it's a role title that any other political party has, or many limited companies like Reform

This is a Proactively Moderated Thread