UKTV to become 'U'

At least they are giving us time to prepare for the inevitable horror.

If the ball didn't drop about how atrocious this rebrand is when they typed "U is coming" then I don't think it ever will.
[-] The following 6 users Like Larry the Loafer's post:
  • fanoftv, GMc, gottago, Jonny, Ma76, Stuart

This is so ridiculous. Why on earth would they do this?! Why rename a broadcaster after 30 years to a single letter?!

Jgriffin
[-] The following 4 users Like Josh Griffin's post:
  • DeMarkay, ethanjbrady, Ma76, Stuart

(23-05-2024, 05:22 PM)Josh Griffin Wrote:  This is so ridiculous. Why on earth would they do this?! Why rename a broadcaster after 30 years to a single letter?!
It's almost along the lines of when Royal Mail decided to rename themselves to Consignia in 2002. Nobody within the organisation could actually admit that it was a terrible idea, so it went ahead.

They relented after 16 months and it went back to Royal Mail plc. I smell something similar with UKTV/U, but things in the media move faster these days, so it may not take as long to reverse.

news.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:
  • Josh Griffin, Ma76

(23-05-2024, 05:42 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I smell something similar with UKTV/U, but things in the media move faster these days, so it may not take as long to reverse.
A clue will be if we see an animation where there's a "U", "KTV" slide out from the right hand side of the U, before sliding back in. The sort of attempt to keep the questionable rebrand, whilst feeling the need to remind viewers of its/ was a UKTV channel.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 2 users Like Keith's post:
  • Ma76, Stuart

Why can't they just rename themselves to UK Gold, UK Dave, UK Yesterday, UK Alibi, UK W, UK Drama and UK Eden? Those actually work a whole lot better than U&Dave, U&Yesterday etc.

Jgriffin
[-] The following 5 users Like Josh Griffin's post:
  • BBCChameleonFan, ethanjbrady, Jeff, Ma76, Stuart

Will the socials keep the same handles or all be prefixed "Uand" as like web urls the & is not a permitted character, but at least Bandq have the excuse of their brand pre-dating such considerations.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Josh Griffin, Ma76

I agree with you on that. But let me assume you, letters are cursed when it comes to rebranding. U - UKTV X - Twitter

Jgriffin
[-] The following 1 user Likes Josh Griffin's post:
  • LTSC1980

(23-05-2024, 07:09 PM)Josh Griffin Wrote:  Why can't they just rename themselves to UK Gold, UK Dave, UK Yesterday, UK Alibi, UK W, UK Drama and UK Eden? Those actually work a whole lot better than U&Dave, U&Yesterday etc.

I can picture some marketing gimp laughing off the idea of turning to old ideas, even though I still think UK Gold is the best name that channel has ever had. However, personally, I can't see any prefix or suffix sitting comfortably next to a name like Dave or Yesterday.

Oh yes. UK Gold is so nostalgic! G.O.L.D was a bit awkward for the channel tbh

Jgriffin