UKTV to become 'U'

(28-05-2024, 07:30 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  I suspect because ampersand is alternative for "and", it may be that email programs took it as being (to carry on with the example) live@bbc.co.uk and kicking@bbc.co.uk as opposed to live&kicking@bbc.co.uk.

Some characters cause issues today on certain platforms, Google apparently doesn't like it if you use + in an email, because it has an alternative use on that platform.

To go off topic you can use + in a google email address to create aliases for example forename.surname+alias@gmail.com is an alias of forename.surname@gmail.com.

You can create inbox rules based on this, and it's useful for knowing where your email address has been passed onto other places.
[-] The following 3 users Like dvboy's post:
  • chaose, interestednovice, Ma76

UKTV Play has removed the previous ident to tease the rebrand. It seems to have a logo sonic too.

youtu.be 

(01-06-2024, 12:40 AM)GeeTeeKay474 Wrote:  UKTV Play has removed the previous ident to tease the rebrand. It seems to have a logo sonic too.

youtu.be 
I was watching something on Drama yesterday and noticed that they keep flashing up the 'U&Drama' screen between programmes.

From all evidence we've seen, the existing nice stylised 'D' logo and wordmark will vanish, only to be replaced by something inferior.

I guess they're just following the regular BBC strategy of "if it ain't broke . . . break it!"
[-] The following 14 users Like Stuart's post:
  • ACTV, bkman1990, Brekkie, callumwatchestelly, chaose, ethanjbrady, GMc, interestednovice, LDN, London Lite, Ma76, RhysJR, SB678, thomash79

I can’t believe they’re actually going ahead with this 🤦‍♂️
[-] The following 13 users Like thomalex's post:
  • aquadextrous, bkman1990, callumwatchestelly, DeMarkay, GMc, interestednovice, JJJJ, London Lite, Ma76, SB678, SlimyTrain, Stuart, thomash79

(01-06-2024, 03:53 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I was watching something on Drama yesterday and noticed that they keep flashing up the 'U&Drama' screen between programmes.

From all evidence we've seen, the existing nice stylised 'D' logo and wordmark will vanish, only to be replaced by something inferior.

I guess they're just following the regular BBC strategy of "if it ain't broke . . . break it!"

If you were unifying the network, the symbol would have to go anyway as it would clash with the upcoming branding system. Whether it being U or UKTV. Look at BBC and ITV - it's had a good run.

Expect to see explainers promos and idents talking about the change soon.

I'm going to say something controversial- I still don't like the execution, but I do think that the UKTV channels need a unifying brand again.

[Image: BB50.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like Blubatt's post:
  • JosiahStuart, SlimyTrain

(02-06-2024, 07:53 PM)Blubatt Wrote:  I'm going to say something controversial- I still don't like the execution, but I do think that the UKTV channels need a unifying brand again.
They already have a recognisable unified brand in the transforming DOG after breaks and the constant barkers for UKTV Play. They also cross-promote channels within the group.

To those viewers who care, it's already obvious that they are a bouquet of 7 channels operating under the same umbrella network, even if they don't realise it's the BBC's commercial arm.

If people don't either notice or care about the link between the 7 channels now, then stuffing it down their throats with a weird prefix won't make any difference.

The direction should be in promoting UKTV Play, not tinkering with names on linear channels.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • interestednovice

(02-06-2024, 08:37 PM)Stuart Wrote:  If people don't either notice or care about the link between the 7 channels now, then stuffing it down their throats with weird prefixes won't make any difference.
There has been a weak link with viewers associating the siloed channel brands (previous marketing head) with UKTV Play. Now that everything is turning digital first, it's become imperative to make an attempt to sort this out. In fact some viewers struggled to make a faint connection.

Execution, do I agree with all of it? no. But what we have currently isn't working

(02-06-2024, 08:41 PM)dbl Wrote:  There has been a weak link with viewers associating the siloed channel brands (previous marketing head) with UKTV Play. Now that everything is turning digital first, it's become imperative to make an attempt to sort this out. In fact some viewers struggled to make a faint connection.

Execution, do I agree with all of it? no. But what we have currently isn't working
I don't watch channels because of the organisation to which they belong. I just look for something I will enjoy viewing, either streaming or sometimes linear. Most people will follow the same decision path.

This marketing strategy by UKTV is dated and damaging to their existing established branded channel identities.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • interestednovice

(02-06-2024, 09:09 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I don't watch channels because of the organisation to which they belong. I just look for something I will enjoy viewing, either streaming or sometimes linear. Most people will follow the same decision path.

This marketing strategy by UKTV is dated and damaging to their existing branded channel identities.
Yes, but people know what iPlayer (BBC), ITVX, Channel 4 is. UKTV Play has always been a bit convoluted, so they're playing catch up

Their goal is to make the link more obvious in terms of navigation for promoting shows