UKTV to become 'U'

(02-06-2024, 09:12 PM)dbl Wrote:  Yes, but people know what iPlayer (BBC), ITVX, Channel 4 is. UKTV Play has always been a bit convoluted, so they're playing catch up

Their goal is to make the link more obvious in terms of navigation for promoting shows
Actually I'm confused as to why C4 changed the name of their streaming service. They've needlessly tinkered before from 4oD to All4. Now I don't know what it is from a pres point of view. Do they mean the channel or the streaming service on promos? Is everything on there, or just programmes from the main channel, because that's the impression they've created with me, and I'm a pres geek.

ITVX has done well because they are the second most popular network on linear TV and have promoted it very well and provided FAST channels. It's now the equivalent of BBC iPlayer as a free service unless you want to pay to dodge ads. They also didn't change the names or brands of their channels to do it.

It don't see UKTV Play as convoluted, and they are not going to make navigation more obvious by having their existing platform renamed. I doubt the change will last very long or become recognised by Joe/Josephine Public. It's not a good move.
[-] The following 3 users Like Stuart's post:
  • Brekkie, interestednovice, Ma76

(01-06-2024, 12:40 AM)GeeTeeKay474 Wrote:  UKTV Play has removed the previous ident to tease the rebrand. It seems to have a logo sonic too.

youtu.be 

That sonic branding is absolutely appalling. It’s like something designed to give the viewer a jump scare! I’m not impressed at all.

(02-06-2024, 10:15 PM)Stuart Wrote:  Actually I'm confused as to why C4 changed the name of their streaming service. They've needlessly tinkered before from 4oD to All4. Now I don't know what it is from a pres point of view. Do they mean the channel or the streaming service on promos? Is everything on there, or just programmes from the main channel, because that's the impression they've created with me, and I'm a pres geek.

I very much agree - the other day I was watching Channel 4 (the channel) and there was a continuity announcement along the lines of “that’s coming up at 9 o’clock on Channel 4, or stream it now on Channel 4”. To the average viewer, and even to me, it made no sense at all!
[-] The following 7 users Like interestednovice's post:
  • AndrewP, GeeTeeKay474, Ma76, Nobby, SlimyTrain, Stuart, VMPhil

(03-06-2024, 01:31 AM)interestednovice Wrote:  That sonic branding is absolutely appalling. It’s like something designed to give the viewer a jump scare! I’m not impressed at all.

I very much agree - the other day I was watching Channel 4 (the channel) and there was a continuity announcement along the lines of “that’s coming up at 9 o’clock on Channel 4, or stream it now on Channel 4”. To the average viewer, and even to me, it made no sense at all!

Again this is of no consequence.

If you want to stream something you’ll either search for Channel 4 or click the 4 logo. It makes perfect sense and there’s no need for separate brands for the streaming service, it’s just devalues your brand.

If I want to stream Netflix I don’t go to the Netflix Player.

For this announcement I would personally go for “On Channel 4 at 9pm or stream”
[-] The following 3 users Like thomalex's post:
  • all new phil, GeeTeeKay474, Joe

I just don't see the rationale in a rebrand that undermines the successful parts of your branding (e.g. the channel Dave becoming U&Dave).

The most sensible thing to do would be to rebrand UKTV Play itself, rebranding it to a new streaming service with a catchy name that encompasses all of the UKTV free content.

It doesn't strengthen the UKTV umbrella bran either. It turns it into 'U'.

Let's add something else backwards to this ridiculous rebrand...

The UKTV Play app on my Apple TV box got updated to V2 (I guess ready for the rebrand) and the menu has gone from the Apple style one at the top to a side-bar like most other apps have - BUT they also seem to have removed the ability to watch any of the channels live?! Seems like such a stupid move to me.

(03-06-2024, 01:26 PM)thomalex Wrote:  If you want to stream something you’ll either search for Channel 4 or click the 4 logo. It makes perfect sense and there’s no need for separate brands for the streaming service, it’s just devalues your brand.

If I want to stream Netflix I don’t go to the Netflix Player.
If I want to watch something from More4, E4, Film4 etc, I confusingly have to go to a streaming service called 'Channel 4', which is the name of a different channel. It devalues the brand by creating unnecessary confusion.

Netflix isn't a channel, it's just a streaming service. There is no such confusion.

Similarly, UKTV Play isn't a channel, it's a recognised streaming service.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:
  • Ma76, VMPhil

(03-06-2024, 07:34 PM)Stuart Wrote:  If I want to watch something from More4, E4, Film4 etc, I confusingly have to go to a streaming service called 'Channel 4', which is the name of a different channel. It devalues the brand by creating unnecessary confusion.

There’s no help for you if you find that confusing I’m afraid. The 4 logo is a pretty big clue.

By your logic we need a streaming service for each individual channel.
[-] The following 1 user Likes all new phil's post:
  • thomalex

(03-06-2024, 08:09 PM)all new phil Wrote:  There’s no help for you if you find that confusing I’m afraid. The 4 logo is a pretty big clue.

By your logic we need a streaming service for each individual channel.
The All4 service and logo was perfectly acceptable as a descriptor for the what they were offering: essentially "anything related to content from all the channels in the bouquet".

The clue was in the name and the logo. It couldn't be confused with the name of a single channel. The identity was deliberately different.

There is no need to be offensive with your replies. This is a pres discussion forum.
[-] The following 2 users Like Stuart's post:
  • Kunst, VMPhil

(03-06-2024, 07:34 PM)Stuart Wrote:  If I want to watch something from More4, E4, Film4 etc, I confusingly have to go to a streaming service called 'Channel 4', which is the name of a different channel. It devalues the brand by creating unnecessary confusion.

Netflix isn't a channel, it's just a streaming service. There is no such confusion.

Similarly, UKTV Play isn't a channel, it's a recognised streaming service.
Does the concept of walking in to branch of Tesco to visit a Tesco Pharmacy confuse you?

You might argue with some merit that it's a little clumsy, but I don't think anyone is confused.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 2 users Like WillPS's post:
  • all new phil, bilky asko

Something akin to All4 was VERY needed, as Channel 4 doesn't have just Channel 4, but also More4, E4, E4 Extra, Film4 and 4Seven, and obviously promos need to be clear and uncryptical

Plus , C4 streaming offers content that is not on the linear channel