UKTV to become 'U'

(07-06-2024, 01:45 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  The official press release announcing the changes and upcoming programming - every single one of them announced as being on "U and U&....".

Makes it sound like the channel names are staying the same and the on demand portal is being rebranded "U and U".

corporate.uktv.co.uk 

With this talk of “U and U”, I can’t be the only one who now has a rather unfortunate earworm from the theme of a certain 80s children’s TV show that doesn’t get shown anymore.
[-] The following 2 users Like Spencer's post:
  • Larry the Loafer, Stuart

Why are some channels spelt in all caps and some not? “U&YESTERDAY” looks particularly ugly

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]

Because they tried to stay close to the existing logos, even if they changed the fonts. Dave has a mixed case logo, whereas Drama's and Yesterday's are all caps. The new logos are the same despite changing the typefaces.

(07-06-2024, 01:45 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  The official press release announcing the changes and upcoming programming - every single one of them announced as being on "U and U&....".

Makes it sound like the channel names are staying the same and the on demand portal is being rebranded "U and U".

corporate.uktv.co.uk 
That actually reads as if they're trying to convince themselves more than the viewers. I wonder if someone has realised that coming up with a new brand strategy during a boozy Friday afternoon session in the pub wasn't such a great idea.

(07-06-2024, 05:17 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  Why are some channels spelt in all caps and some not? “U&YESTERDAY” looks particularly ugly

Maybe it's because that's how they were originally trademarked (especially more generic words, like "Drama" "DRAMA" and "Yesterday" "YESTERDAY" - the same happened with HISTORY - and its brand extensions - internationally and Sky HISTORY / Sky HISTORY2 in the UK).

(08-06-2024, 02:58 PM)ArthurVX Wrote:  Maybe it's because that's how they were originally trademarked (especially more generic words, like "Drama" "DRAMA" and "Yesterday" "YESTERDAY" - the same happened with HISTORY - and its brand extensions - internationally and Sky HISTORY / Sky HISTORY2 in the UK).
I think you can only trademark logos or wordmarks, not commonly used words in a dictionary, as A&E discovered in 2013.

www.rpc.co.uk 

(07-06-2024, 01:45 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Makes it sound like the channel names are staying the same and the on demand portal is being rebranded "U and U".

When you think you have seen it all with this disastrous rebrand
[-] The following 1 user Likes thomalex's post:
  • Stuart

I just hope with the rebrand they improve the proof reading a bit at UKTV, given what I've spotted currently going out on broadcast for some of their UKTV Play promos. Otherwise we may be ending up with channels with 'V&' in the title instead! Wink

site.tvwhirl.co.uk 
Web Image

TV Whirl - Since 2001
[-] The following 7 users Like TesTVWhirl's post:
  • AndrewP, ATee, LargelyALurker, Larry the Loafer, SlimyTrain, Spencer, TJTSW

x.com 

I actually don't think they should've even advertised the name changes, just really push U as a streamer and then let the audience figure out the connection when they spot the EPG and DOG changes. Doing it their way probably creates more questions than answers. Whilst Twitter comments are never a good indicator for anything, it is a bit telling they're all universally negative underneath it.
[-] The following 8 users Like gottago's post:
  • Allanbuzzy, AndrewP, Brekkie, Happy2001, Jeff, Ma76, Stuart, Tola

(11-06-2024, 02:16 PM)gottago Wrote:  x.com 

I actually don't think they should've even advertised the name changes, just really push U as a streamer and then let the audience figure out the connection when they spot the EPG and DOG changes. Doing it their way probably creates more questions than answers. Whilst Twitter comments are never a good indicator for anything, it is a bit telling they're all universally negative underneath it.
Screams of an idea that will be reversed within 12-18 months - and will go down in the annals of idiotic rebrands like the brief phase when the Post Office became Consignia.
[-] The following 7 users Like leewilliams's post:
  • AndrewP, chaose, chrisdafur, GeeTeeKay474, GMc, Ma76, Stuart