(28-06-2024, 03:37 AM)oscillon Wrote:  Great job! Sky News seems to be an outlier - all other channels kept the lowest "CNN Presidential debate" banner, including NBC News. However, Sky News, while simulcasting NBC News, decided to run its news ticker over it, thus overriding the common banner.

I assume they shouldn’t have done that - the fact nobody else did and some obviously made significant effort to avoid it (eg BBC) suggests it was a condition of simulcasting.

On PM on Radio 4 yesterday, they mentioned that the debate would only be carried live and wouldn’t be available to catch up on iPlayer/Sounds due to CNN’s terms.
[-] The following 4 users Like LargelyALurker's post:
  • chrisherald, Jeff, mouseboy33, TIGHazard

(28-06-2024, 12:15 AM)JayCasey Wrote:  CNN have an opportunity to re-establish themselves as the “global leader in news” tonight by putting on a balanced debate.

All it takes is a hint of bias and I fear the network as a worldwide leader in news could well be over.

It’s CNN’s time to shine, especially as its output is going out on not only BBC News but virtually every news outlet around the globe.

I didn't watch it, but sadly the general consensus was the opposite to what you hoped for.

The lack of fact checking and challenging of statements by the candidates is the thing being criticised the most towards CNN. CNN might be out of the worst of the discourse firing due to the performance of the two candidates, but it is hard to find many who think they have enhanced their reputation with this broadcast.
[-] The following 3 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • chrisherald, JayCasey, xlalonce

I think CNN did great with the debate. Jake and Dana asked questions and let the candidates' words, or lack of them, speak for themselves. There was no way Jake and Dana were able to ''fact-check'' (whatever that means these days), without starting a fight with the candidates and destroying the whole concept of the debate.

The new mic rules also turned out to be very good, no interruptions, no yelling, but they still got to respond to each other.

Of course, because of the Biden disaster performance, you now have many Democrats angry at CNN for not ''fact-checking'' and for employing the mic rule, which Biden's team asked for in the first place.

Finally, CNN did fact-check both candidate's false statements, in their post-debate coverage.
[-] The following 5 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • chrisherald, EastCoast, mouseboy33, oscillon, TVFan

I don’t think I’ve seen any post-debate claims of bias against CNN. I might have even heard kudos to the moderators from FOX. CNN set out to make the candidates the stars of the show and rightly or wrongly that’s exactly what they did. We’ll see how ABC tinker with the format in September.

On a side note, it’s disappointing that Fred is still in a flash set when the entire Domestic team has been using studios in Atlanta. Hopefully the 8am hour gets to move into Studio H and the overnights use the “new” side of Studio H now that the debate is behind us.
[-] The following 2 users Like EastCoast's post:
  • chrisherald, Talkover

(28-06-2024, 03:28 AM)sky303 Wrote:  Here's the CNN debate across multiple channels , including some non-US ones
imgur.com 

BFMTV from France with an interesting on screen layout.
cdn.discordapp.com 
Web Image

I’ve no problem with the CNN debate moderators not fact checking the Presidential candidates answers. That wasn’t their job. I do however think they should have stepped in to ensure the candidates answered the questions they were asked. They allowed one candidate in particular to completely ignore several questions they were asked. For this reason I was disappointed with the moderators performance.
[-] The following 2 users Like AJB39's post:
  • Jeff, xlalonce

Anytime I think of anybody saying that a moderator should be fact checking during a debate, I think of when Candy Crowley tried to fact check Mitt Romney during the 2012 debate. I think it sounds good on paper, but fact checking in real time is really hard to do well.

www.politico.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like Charles's post:
  • chrisherald, EastCoast, Jeff

(24-06-2024, 11:04 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  CNN will indeed have a special called The Fourth In America. It will indeed air all around the world including on CNN International.
The Press Release says that, the now updated schedules page for Friday doesn't. Richard and Isa to 5amUK on the Europe, Asia and Latin America feeds. Then five hours of CNN Newsroom with no 15 minute World Sports like usual. Concert on North America feed only (which will also take the final hour of CNN Newsroom at 9amUK/4amUK)
[-] The following 4 users Like excel99's post:
  • AJB39, matthieu1221, newsfan22, TVFan

Jeanne Moos has retired from CNN after 43 years:

x.com 
[-] The following 5 users Like j.smith's post:
  • AJB39, chrisherald, matthieu1221, sky303, Talkover

CNN en Español used a newsroom based set for their analysis which looked pretty good. Wouldn’t be upset if this became a permanent fixture for the midday Newsroom

youtu.be 

youtu.be 
[-] The following 1 user Likes EastCoast's post:
  • chrisherald