Apologies for the brief outages recently. We are aware of an issue and it is being investigated. x

BBC/ITV North West News

Yes, first lunchtime today although I wouldn't be surprised if it was being controlled from the a different gallery. Certainly the background didn't look particularly sharp (as it usually does at 6.30pm) and the tower screen wasn't animating on the wide shot.

Breakfast bulletins are now coming from the new studio this morning, notably from the tower, which seems to be zoomed to not show its short height.

They seem to be trying too hard since the new set introduction on NWT and it’s almost become gimmicky.

There was a Saturday edition where Steve Saul began the bulletin walking towards the tower whilst introducing the first story - appeared unnecessary.

At the end of each 6.30pm edition they are panning around all over the place at varying heights and angles. It’s distracting whilst you’re trying to focus on what the presenter is saying - for an example watch last nights programme on iplayer after the weather segment. No static shot just constant moving around whilst Roger is talking about viewers comments and a Blackpool Zoo item.

Yes, the end shot last night was a bit over the top - and it doesn't work really when the presenter is sat on the sofa. If you were at a desk on a swivel chair, at least you could easily move to face the camera, but on a sofa shifting when the camera moves around nearly 180 degrees doesn't work.

Quote:At the end of each 6.30pm edition they are panning around all over the place at varying heights and angles. It’s distracting whilst you’re trying to focus on what the presenter is saying - for an example watch last nights programme on iplayer after the weather segment. No static shot just constant moving around whilst Roger is talking about viewers comments and a Blackpool Zoo item.

I had a look.. you're being pretty over the top with your description, long, slow tracking mid/wide shot settling on a static shot when the item changed from emails to the zoo still.
Timely pause before move out to end wide.

The whole point of this studio look is subtle movement.. you made it sound like it was top of the pops.. It was hardly like Rodger was doing an impression of an owl..

I actually thought it looked really good. I mean reading out emails is dull.. to do that for the 20 seconds or so sat on a midshot it would be.. well, dull

Now I think the Nine in Scotland looked brilliant, modern and sharp. This feels like a bit of that concept has been absorbed and I think it looks great

Presenter sat static behind a desk on a static midshot is like sooooooooo nineties!
[-] The following 3 users Like AM160's post:
  • LDN, London Lite, Manclad83

Probably better bringing this up here rather than the election thread but the casual viewer might well have assumed there was no Granada Reports at 6pm tonight - what with the slot being taken up by an election debate special (save for a weather forecast at the end)

A look at their website and their socials gave absolutely no mention to the debate at all - instead preferring to run heavily on the continuing story about Jay Slater, the Lancashire teenager missing in Tenerife (including an exclusive interview with his mother)

Granted, the latter may well feature on their late news tonight - but it does remind me of ITV Wales taking up their 6pm slot what basically amounted to an anniversary documentary about the Miners Strike on what was a big news day (Covid inquiry etc.)

All in all - and with a lack of available timeslots but no end of social / online space available, a baffling way of doing things at Granada.

Couldn't ITV have coordinated things to allow Granada to opt-out of the ITV Evening News at 7pm, like the devolved nations do regularly on Fridays?