UKTV to become 'U'

(11-06-2024, 09:35 PM)Lyric Wrote:  Here's hoping "Dave ja vu" carries over.
Surely they should change it to "Dave ja & U".

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.
[-] The following 4 users Like Keith's post:
  • Josh, leewilliams, Ma76, sky303

(12-06-2024, 02:42 AM)Andrew Wood Wrote:  At the risk of straying from the topic, there was this ITV1+1 promo

theident.gallery 

To be fair, it was pretty big news when the main channels (ITV1, Channel 4, Channel 5) launched their timeshift services. And ITV1 and Channel 5 were a bit late to the game in 2011, as C4+1 had already launched four years prior in 2007.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]

I think these transition promos might be hints at what the idents could look like. The only one I see working is U&Dave, mostly because they haven't just slapped a logo over a moving piece of footage and called it a day.

(16-06-2024, 03:48 AM)Thomanory Wrote:  I think these transition promos might be hints at what the idents could look like. The only one I see working is U&Dave, mostly because they haven't just slapped a logo over a moving piece of footage and called it a day.
I certainly hope they're not. Drama and Yesterday currently have very nice idents which have worked as a strong brand for years.

I think all of the transition idents are horrible, because there’s nothing special going on in each ident, nor is there any accompanying soundtrack to support the visuals. And if these idents are a hint to what the actual idents look like, or these transition idents might be the actual idents but with the old logo placed at the beginning, then we need to prepare for one monstrosity of a rebrand.
[-] The following 1 user Likes BBCChameleonFan's post:
  • Stuart

(16-06-2024, 03:48 AM)Thomanory Wrote:  I think these transition promos might be hints at what the idents could look like. The only one I see working is U&Dave
Some channels will get new idents (really think about it...) *recently* new ones will stay the same and just be revisioned.
[-] The following 3 users Like dbl's post:
  • AndrewP, BBCChameleonFan, DeMarkay

Dave might get away with it if the continuity is allowed to somewhat take the piss out of it too which would be very on brand for Dave but suspect execs will be more concerned about nobody questioning the master rebrand on air.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • GeeTeeKay474

(16-06-2024, 08:59 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Dave might get away with it if the continuity is allowed to somewhat take the piss out of it too which would be very on brand for Dave
Actually, it's already happening...
[-] The following 6 users Like dbl's post:
  • Allanbuzzy, AndrewP, callumwatchestelly, ethanjbrady, Ma76, thomash79

(16-06-2024, 06:17 AM)Stuart Wrote:  I certainly hope they're not. Drama and Yesterday currently have very nice idents which have worked as a strong brand for years.
Drama's idents are 11 years old, they've been there since launch. They'd be easy to edit with the new branding as they are just logo over footage, but I won't be surprised if they're completely replaced.

Yesterday's 12 year old idents not being replaced would be a More4 situation (elements of the old logo still present in the idents), as the Y symbol interacts with the background. And unlike Film4 whose idents are similar, the new logo won't work in it's place as it's just a wordmark.

(16-06-2024, 03:13 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  Drama's idents are 11 years old, they've been there since launch. They'd be easy to edit with the new branding as they are just logo over footage, but I won't be surprised if they're completely replaced.

Actually they're more like 2 years old... *hint* (the original batch are mostly retired)
[-] The following 3 users Like dbl's post:
  • GeeTeeKay474, Stuart, WillPS