BBC/ITV North West News

That dual Today/Tonight branding must be more trouble than it's worth?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Stuart

I think they're the only BBC region to do it but quite a few ITV regions had "...Tonight" branding - not that tricky really to change to ".. Today" or "... News" during the day. Not sure how many still use it though.

Nottingham had East Midlands Tonight branding for the 22:30 bulletin for a while a few years back, but it didn’t last long.

(02-07-2024, 04:46 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  That dual Today/Tonight branding must be more trouble than it's worth?

If it ain’t broke don’t fix it I suppose.

I know the shorter/daytime bulletins were changed to News North West in 1984, but I’m not sure at what point they became North West Today.

If you look at the 2000 blue Lambie Nairn titles, the Today version looks like an afterthought compared to the Tonight version.

Other than the odd sign off of North West Tonight on a daytime bulletin, I think for the most part it seems to be relatively smooth.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nwtv2003's post:
  • lookoutwales

News North West was in place for daytime bulletins during the early 80s (though the closedown bulletin, until it was axed in 1980, was usually unbranded)

It became Northwest Update (note the spelling) by 1989, then North West Today around 1992, when they brought in a more serious look and format.

Think quite a few ITV regions ditched the 'Tonight' name when the 2013 corporate look for news was launched.
[-] The following 3 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • Brekkie, nwtv2003, Stuart

It does have a disadvantage of meaning the bulletins are not in one place on iPlayer - I do sometimes wonder why the lunch bulletin isn’t on there before remembering I’m looking at ‘Tonight’
[-] The following 1 user Likes steve's post:
  • Steve in Pudsey

(02-07-2024, 05:32 PM)nwtv2003 Wrote:  If you look at the 2000 blue Lambie Nairn titles, the Today version looks like an afterthought compared to the Tonight version.

They really do look inferior; given these were centrally produced I wonder if they supplied a 'Tonight' version and a blank version and someone locally produced the 'Today' version - a few things are off, not only is the slight shadow missing, the font doesn't seem quite right with some letters being narrower than others and the kerning being all over the place.

Never saw it before.

As for the two programme names, would it not be easier for them to just have one iPlayer listing as North West News or something to everything stays in one place?

Well nobody is going to be searching "North West News" but you would think they could link the two programmes under one listing, although it's no different to the network news bulletins which are under different categories for the 1/6/10 and don't show if you search BBC News (seems to be various extended reports under that listing).

BBC Sport manage it a bit better - Wimbledon and the Euros having one listing for example, but then sub-categories splitting live programmes and highlight programmes, and further categories for any extras.

Granada use to call it's short updates in the day "Granada News" I think it was only after one of the ITV Rebrands they all became "Granada Reports" before that it was only the main programme that used the name reports.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DJ Dave's post:
  • Ben Shatliff

And for much of the 90s they used the Granada Tonight brand for the main evening programme at least - not sure if they used it for the late bulletin. Having been bought up on that I've never really been a fan of the Granada Reports brand but it's a bit of heritage they hang on to.