UKTV to become 'U'

I thought the W was for Women, so its all female orientated. I recall Sci Fi back when it was was Watch with the likes of Primeval but that was back when it seemed to be targeting a more general audience like Sky One.

(19-06-2024, 04:20 PM)cable Wrote:  I thought the W was for Women, so its all female orientated. I recall Sci Fi back when it was was Watch with the likes of Primeval but that was back when it seemed to be targeting a more general audience like Sky One.

The target audience for W now is ABC1 Women 30-39 which is a very specific demographic. Dave is slightly broader aiming at 25-54 Men, I found a commission briefing which explains it in more detail:
corporate.uktv.co.uk 
[-] The following 2 users Like XIII's post:
  • Happy2001, RhysJR

(18-06-2024, 10:45 AM)all new phil Wrote:  The idea that Watch / W has ever been “premium” is hilarious. As a channel it has never had any cut through. Nobody outside of here would ever be able to name you a show that’s been on it.

Every time I tune in to W, it's always Tipping Point!
[-] The following 1 user Likes GeeTeeKay474's post:
  • Dan

(16-06-2024, 08:59 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Dave might get away with it if the continuity is allowed to somewhat take the piss out of it too which would be very on brand for Dave but suspect execs will be more concerned about nobody questioning the master rebrand on air.
Here's one slide, saying what this forum is probably thinking...
www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 11 users Like dbl's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, DeMarkay, DJ Dave, Edogawa Ranpo, ethanjbrady, Happy2001, Jeff, RhysJR, Stuart, TVFan

W have also been showing Michael McIntyre's The Wheel on weekends for some reason, the weekdays being Tipping Point (and its spin-off but they're essentially the same thing). The weirder thing is that their commissioning brief states that they are NOT looking for reality or game shows, with NOT being in bold.

(22-06-2024, 12:05 AM)Thomanory Wrote:  W have also been showing Michael McIntyre's The Wheel on weekends for some reason, the weekdays being Tipping Point (and its spin-off but they're essentially the same thing). The weirder thing is that their commissioning brief states that they are NOT looking for reality or game shows, with NOT being in bold.

Well I guess there is a difference between what they are willing to commission themselves and what they are willing to acquire.
[-] The following 3 users Like eyeTV's post:
  • Brekkie, Happy2001, WillPS

The Wheel being there is no surprise, considering UKTV is BBC owned and that's a BBC show.

(22-06-2024, 01:26 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  The Wheel being there is no surprise, considering UKTV is BBC owned and that's a BBC show.

Very true and as for Tipping Point, if W didn't already have it or if they ever lose the rights , you can pretty much guarantee that Challenge will just pick it up and air alongside The Chase (which to be fair whilst it still airs quite a lot, i feel they are a little less reliant on it than they once were).