BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

I know its tradition to stand in front of the famous #10 black door to make announcements and such. It just seems to be so impractical in 2024.

- the PM standing in the pouring rain
-people interrupting with bullhorns and loud music (fairly new-ish or at least the frequency)
-the press standing in the rain for hours. ( also the loud noises from protesters interrupts the public from hearing the statements or in the least its distracting, SkyNews commenting on the optics of him standing in the rain and the loud distracting music)

Just seems the best solution would be to use the press briefing room that the government paid for but rarely appears any more.

I know UK loves tradition, but maybe its time to use "#10 Door" for certain things. Like when the PM is installed or something. But in case of inclement weather they should have planned to do this in the briefing room. And yes I realise that it was the PM or at least his people that decided to hold it the rain rather than from inside #10.
It almost seems like they enjoy punishing the press somehow. (LOL)
[-] The following 1 user Likes mouseboy33's post:
  • Stuart

He'd have been pilloried for not braving the rain. Now whether the broadcasters need to be there in person rather than in the warmth of the studio is another matter.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • mouseboy33

They could have popped a pop up gazebo over the podium, the camera shot is quite a close up so it wouldn't have been in shot.
[-] The following 1 user Likes aaron_scotland's post:
  • mouseboy33

I thought the point of the 'professional standard' media studio set-up at 9 Downing Street was to avoid a situation where you get damp in the rain by standing outside.

It doesn't seem to get used very much these days.
[-] The following 3 users Like Stuart's post:
  • matthieu1221, mouseboy33, UTVLifer

(22-05-2024, 05:21 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  I know its tradition to stand in front of the famous #10 black door to make announcements and such. It just seems to be so impractical in 2024.

- the PM standing in the pouring rain
-people interrupting with bullhorns and loud music (fairly new-ish or at least the frequency)
-the press standing in the rain for hours. ( also the loud noises from protesters interrupts the public from hearing the statements or in the least its distracting)

Just seems the best solution would be to use the press briefing room that the government paid for but rarely appears any more.

I know UK loves tradition, but maybe its time to use "#10 Door" for certain things. Like when the PM is installed or something. But in case of inclement weather they should have planned to do this in the briefing room.

I know its not going to be a popular idea. Its just seems like the weather would make this an east decision just to do this from the briefing room.

There was speculation that it might be done inside. Ultimately, if the government cared that much, a solution could be sorted to counter what (I believe) amounts to Steve Bray and a PA system.

I expect this is teasing the use of the MNF studio...

twitter.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like Transmission's post:
  • Luc, Michael 18

Sky making the sensible decision that Mark and Sam can be in the warm, dry studio as events are now over really at Downing Street.
[-] The following 3 users Like aaron_scotland's post:
  • Brekkie, Michael 18, UTVLifer

Seems Keirs speech broke up so we missed some key words, though Im sure we can fill in the blanks. LiveU I guess.

(22-05-2024, 05:29 PM)Stuart Wrote:  I thought the point of the 'professional standard' media studio set-up at 9 Downing Street was to avoid a situation where you get damp in the rain by standing outside.

It doesn't seem to get used very much these days.

It was 2.5mill but i dont remember the last time it was used for a major announcement. It just seems so practical. The press are trying to do their job and the viewers are trying to hear.
upload.wikimedia.org 
Web Image

But it seems that an ornate glass awning, befitting style of the surrounding buildings can be erected over the press area so they arent stood working in the pouring rain.
This is just wild.

www.japantimes.co.jp 
Web Image

Something like this. (not this exact model or installation, but the idea of classic style glass canopy over the press pit)
nguyenphongcnc.com 
Web Image

[-] The following 1 user Likes mouseboy33's post:
  • Stuart

x.com 

Political journalists are hard wired to shout questions that are never answered whenever they see a politician
[-] The following 4 users Like Andrew's post:
  • bkman1990, mouseboy33, Stuart, UTVLifer