C4 Programme Commissioning Woes

It looks like The Last leg isn't coming back now and will probleay return on 28th Aug for its 12 day run for Paralympic. Then after I dare say they will get one last more series of 8eps from start of October to end of November to cover US election?

(08-06-2024, 09:14 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  It looks like The Last leg isn't coming back now and will probleay return on 28th Aug for its 12 day run for Paralympic. Then after I dare say they will get one last more series of 8eps from start of October to end of November to cover US election?

It is still early, so they can come back, with probably 2 weeks notice - They will be back of course for the Paralympics, and then come back as you say from late October and run through to Christmas, they now have a tradition for two separate specials for Christmas and New Year's Eve.

I won't rule out them returning just yet - depends if Adam is in Australia and can't come back.

(08-06-2024, 09:14 PM)Milkshake Wrote:  It looks like The Last leg isn't coming back now and will probleay return on 28th Aug for its 12 day run for Paralympic. Then after I dare say they will get one last more series of 8eps from start of October to end of November to cover US election?

Why does it need to cover the US election?

(08-06-2024, 10:17 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Why does it need to cover the US election?

I personally think after the Paralympic it will be axed, but someone on here suggested it will be back for US election for all the over the top stories that will come from that, I think it going to peter out.

Three series a year was always one too many. I think the big problem with the regular series is it's gone from being an entertainment series hosted by people with a disability as it's USP too basically three middle aged men sat in a TV studio discussing the news, something that isn't exactly unique nowadays. In a way having all three hosts stick with it hasn't done it any favours - it would benefit from a bit of fresh energy a new regular could bring.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • Larry the Loafer

I just think the quality of the writing has plummeted over the years. I've found myself cringing at plenty of sketches and been unable to ignore how often Alex is seen laughing harder at Josh's jokes then the audience does to the point where I'm almost convinced Josh pays him to be his hypeman.

I caught a fairly recent episode where they'd planted a joke somewhere in the show that was written by AI. To the presumed detriment of the writers, a bunch of jokes that fell flat were erroneously assumed to be AI. If your show's writers are writing to a similar standard of a chat bot to the point where they can't be told apart, you really need better writers.
[-] The following 4 users Like Larry the Loafer's post:
  • Brekkie, David, Gary Baldy, Pips2022

For me it was the series that coincided with the Tory leadership election that drove me away - I was getting to 10pm on Friday and the last thing I wanted was to hear more about that. OK, perhaps difficult for a topical comedy show to offer an escape from the news but they probably needed to pivot more away from it to keep it watchable and they just haven't.

It's probably for the best they're not on air during this election - last time around they had Jeremy Corbyn to mock as well as the Tories but far trickier to offer any semblance of balance when it comes to getting comedy out of the election this time around.

I have said this before, but I doubt Channel 4 will axe this show - it is there bread and butter show, which Have I Got News For You has become for the BBC - axe it, and what will they have left? Will they simply stick Joe Lycett on for 22 weeks of the year?

It is now a safe and reliable option for Channel 4 to keep - they simply need a kick up the arse in writing and production.

It still rates relatively well but so did the civilian versions of SAS and Hunted, both of which were showing their age and have been shelved. I think the trouble is nowadays when shows disappear nothing seems to replace them - that's the case across TV too. Seems this year C4 have lost a series of The Last Leg and The Latish Show, but nothing really replaces it.

(24-05-2024, 12:27 AM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  Depends if they're all even available though. As weve seen with Claire Balding. I doubt they all kept their diaries clear for a year just so they could be available at the drop of a hat. That's why it seems odd ch4 announced their election night lineup before knowing when it was actually happening.
Yes, the main difference with The Last Leg is that the main presenter spends a lot of his time back home in Australia, so getting him for a snap series is more difficult than it would for other programmes.

This year there's also the Paralympics, even though it's a couple of months away there's presumably a lot of pre-production needed for those shows, both production planning and pre filming. Doing a snap series in June/July would interrupt all that
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • Happy2001