Britain’s Got Talent 2024

Although the live week was always a (welcome) disruption to the weekday schedule it is arguably more so with the new soap schedule and arguably 10 hours of content more beneficial airing at the weekends considering they'd be able to fill the week with 5-6 hours of probably cheaper content.

Of course that has to be weighed up with staffing the live shows across six weeks, presuming they are still live, the availability of the judges (arguably Simon being less available wouldn't be a bad thing) and the venue - far easier to book the Palladium for a week than once a week for six weeks.

Personally I think doing it across one week makes it more of an event. I wouldn't mind if they moved the live shows to say Thu-Mon across the May Day Bank Holiday, then the final the next weekend, and as such began the audition shows the first weekend of March.

I've always felt they'd look to replace Saturday Night Takeaway by rejigging the schedule rather than commissioning something new and taking out the double episodes of Masked Singer / BGT would go some distance to doing that - and BGT going weekly for the lives would completely do it.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • ACTV

Moving the BGT semis to Saturdays is probably best for the show as there is more competition during the week and with it going in so fast it's maybe too much of a commitment for people to watch a week's worth of shows to catch up, so they don't bother.

I also don't think the new shows that are coming through at the moment are good or big enough to replace SNT.

I'm one episode behind so still watching the last auditions. Does anyone think Bruno has featured a hell of a lot less this year than last? He dominated quite a lot last series but to me it feels like he's somehow faded into the background a bit.

(27-05-2024, 08:26 PM)gottago Wrote:  I'm one episode behind so still watching the last auditions. Does anyone think Bruno has featured a hell of a lot less this year than last? He dominated quite a lot last series but to me it feels like he's somehow faded into the background a bit.

Last year he broke the rule on the Golden Buzzer and also he seemed very over the top. He probably has toned it down,

Do the judges still decide who goes through to the semis? Or is it all producer led now?

(27-05-2024, 09:24 PM)iloveTV1 Wrote:  Do the judges still decide who goes through to the semis? Or is it all producer led now?
I wouldn't be surprised if it's always been producer led, regardless of what was shown on camera.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

Well it’s always been producer led but they don’t seem to be pretending it isn’t now. I think it’s a lot to do with the amount of foreign professional acts and their availability plus the cost to fly them over to film a 30 second segment of the judges telling the acts if they are going through or not. Also not showing who goes through means they don’t need to address any acts dropping out and can just replace them with another act that didn’t get through originally without us knowing.

(27-05-2024, 08:26 PM)gottago Wrote:  I'm one episode behind so still watching the last auditions. Does anyone think Bruno has featured a hell of a lot less this year than last? He dominated quite a lot last series but to me it feels like he's somehow faded into the background a bit.

Slightly yes, although my memories of him dominating last year are largely from the live shows (aside from his rule breaks) and he was fairly dominant tonight as well.

I think at this point the show is less of an X Factor style serious competition (not that it was ever as serious as XF but definitely not now) and more about fun, entertaining spectacle. And despite some criticisms they do deliver on that and arguably in a stronger way than they did years ago.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Score's post:
  • Gary Baldy

I don’t think it was fair that they put either 2 or 3 golden buzzer acts in the same night…basically setting them up to fail.
At least when they put Toju and the like through when the idea was first introduced you could at least say “Well,that’s the slot” when he got 2% of the vote.
Now I feel it’s a competition between already signed label acts with some sort of trickery going on into who chooses what acts go where…
It’s like football when some teams have easier brackets than others
Enjoyed the show though,live television is an investment nowadays and it’s a joy to still see it going in 2024,although it’s far and few between

(27-05-2024, 09:55 PM)darrenlit94 Wrote:  Well it’s always been producer led but they don’t seem to be pretending it isn’t now. I think it’s a lot to do with the amount of foreign professional acts and their availability plus the cost to fly them over to film a 30 second segment of the judges telling the acts if they are going through or not.
There's far too many of those. My mum said while watching tonight's episode that the show needs a name change because of the excessive amount of foreign performers. It's not Britain's Got Talent any more.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JAS84's post:
  • Mick Lee