Doctor Who

2.04m overnight last night. According to someone on DS, so take this with less than a pinch of salt but apparently the numbers for those who watched the show prior to 6pm last weekend were 0.14m and 0.12m respectively. Catch-up will (as expected tbf) doing the heavy lifting for the figures that get released tomorrow.

I bet most fans don't realise it's available at midnight then, I'd have expected more than that to want to avoid spoilers from Americans. I actually watched Boom twice, once on iPlayer at about 1pm, then again on broadcast.

(19-05-2024, 09:39 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  I bet most fans don't realise it's available at midnight then, I'd have expected more than that to want to avoid spoilers from Americans. I actually watched Boom twice, once on iPlayer at about 1pm, then again on broadcast.

Honestly, I always forget it's available that early! Then it's a nice surprise when it gets to the evening and I remember that we don't necessarily need to wait for the linear broadcast, though. We can just watch it as soon as we finish our dinner. No complaints, and I honestly haven't accidentally seen spoilers ahead of time.

Of course, spoilers haven't really been a huge issue for the first few episodes as they're relatively standalone and didn't have any huge reveals within them relevant to Who lore or the lead characters. Where the early drop might become a problem is when there are big revelations and twists later in the season, for example with Ruby's story or with Mrs Flood (or other ongoing threads which I won't mention here since they may become big spoilery reveals!)

Final ratings were 4m and 3.9m for the two episodes last weekend…

That's more like it. 4 million is a decent figure nowadays.

(20-05-2024, 06:23 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  That's more like it. 4 million is a decent figure nowadays.

I’d argue it’s a tad disappointing for the premiere of a new era of one of BBC One’s flagship shows. It’ll only drop from here as well.
[-] The following 7 users Like iloveTV1's post:
  • Brekkie, cando, Flux, Kim Wexler’s Ponytail, Score, thomash79, UTVLifer

(20-05-2024, 06:23 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  That's more like it. 4 million is a decent figure nowadays.

Not for an expensive flagship show with a massive advertising campaign behind it it isn’t. RTD was supposed to bring the casual audience back but, as of yet, that doesn’t seem to be happening.
[-] The following 3 users Like Kim Wexler’s Ponytail's post:
  • GeekyJames, Score, thomash79

I don't think Davies' return was ever that big of a deal to the general public because whilst he may be someone people have heard of and they've watched some shows he's written, Doctor Who likely isn't something they'd want to watch anyway. Or if they do, they maybe don't feel that it's the show for his social commentary.

Don't most prime time shows only manage 2 or 3 million now? Ratings are down across the board. They were never going to match 2005.

Would the BBC have had a say in the time of year? Or have Disney dictated that?

Because this doesn't exactly feel like the strongest time of year for Saturday Night viewing...