Doctor Who

Does anyone know how well this season is doing globally?

(03-06-2024, 09:48 AM)Pips2022 Wrote:  Does anyone know how well this season is doing globally?

Probably hard now, since Disney don't have to reveal their audience ratings - it was bit easier when it was on international channels like BBC America, now it will probably be only Disney and BBC Studios who know that.

(01-06-2024, 10:40 PM)JMT1985 Wrote:  I didn't like this episode, as I feel there was no redeeming feature to it. The main guest character was just appalling, no redeeming features about her, and with the doctor and Ruby not there much, it felt wrong.
The focus of the episode was to concentrate on the guest character's personality traits.

In the eyes of the viewer she transitioned from just plain shallow, to comical (lamp post incident), to vulnerable, then finally to someone you wouldn't ever want to know.

That's quite a narrative feat in the space of 45 minutes. The strongest emotion was generated at the end, and it wasn't in favour of the guest character.

The SFX were amazing. No wonder they cost so much.
[-] The following 3 users Like Stuart's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, AndrewP, RhysJR

Talking of presentation, I don't know how 'into' the fandom you are, but Doctor Who superfan Ian Levine is using AI to 'reconstruct' the lost episodes. He's planning on spending £65,000 using telesnaps to make limited animations of First and Second Doctor stories. Having seen some of them, they are a little easier to watch than telesnap recordings, but are ultimately limited, and the animations are doing a lot more to bring these stories to life.

[Image: BB50.png]

I wondered why I recognised the name Ian Levine... and then I opened Twitter...

Been announced that William Russell has passed away. Carol Ann Ford is the last of the original TARDIS crew.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Blubatt's post:
  • UTVLifer

(04-06-2024, 06:37 PM)Blubatt Wrote:  Been announced that William Russell has passed away. Carol Ann Ford is the last of the original TARDIS crew.

Sad news although he did look very frail in his last appearance. 99 is good innings though.
[-] The following 6 users Like XIII's post:
  • AndrewP, Blubatt, JosiahStuart, Ma76, Stuart, UTVLifer

The fact that he came back for one last appearance was the one good thing Chibnall did.

A rather odd announcment that there will be a brand new episode of the Tales of the TARDIS series airing on BBC Four on Thursday June 20th - 28 hours or so before the series finale. This new episode will see Ncuti Gatwa and Mille Gibson feature.

All previous episodes have had classic companions or Doctors (and Clyde from the Sarah Jane Adventures in lieu of anyone else available from the Third Doctor era) reunited to rewatch a Classic Who episode with a new interaction bookmarking the original episode. There is plenty of theories that the big villain of the series finale (a two parter by the way) could be a classic era character returning, so it is only natural to assume this could be reintroducting this character. There is also a shot from a Disney+ trailer that features Ncuti with a background of the memory TARDIS (the set of Tales of the TARDIS) from before the series began - that no longer looks like a mistake.

www.tvzoneuk.com 

x.com 

A nice touch for a tribute slide to William Russell in the credits of this week's episode.

x.com 

I'm probably in a very small minority that got distracted by the episode keeping flipping between Margam Park Orangery (Port Talbot) and Tredegar House (Newport) like they were the same building. The peril of being quite local to where a show is filmed!

The addition of Richard E Grant's Shalka Doctor in the previous faces of The Doctor was an unexpectd and odd twist. Don't think that was ever hinted at before and not sure where it would go in the context. Probably just a curious Easter Egg. All the othr faces were as to be expected - the main numbered Doctors, John Hurt and Jo Martin; no Peter Cushing or Joanna Lumley. Sad
en.wikipedia.org 

Nice to have Astrid Perth making a cameo too Big Grin