Challenge TV

(08-06-2024, 09:23 AM)SuperSajuuk Wrote:  Also yes there are probably all-in-one solutions to edit on the fly. I gather Sky don’t have such things though as i don’t think they have any +1 channels now [wasn’t Challenge one of the last ones in their list of owned channels to have one?]

So what's Sky Showcase+1 then? Sky Max+1? Sky Atlantic +1? Sky Crime +1? Sky History +1?

I can only presume you have looked down the offerings for Sky Stream, as that platform doesn't provide access to +1 channels. HD and I believe Q does.

And I would also go far as to suggest I fail to see any response that is somebody sounding like "an ass".
[-] The following 2 users Like Neil Jones's post:
  • ethanjbrady, WillPS

(08-06-2024, 10:11 AM)Neil Jones Wrote:  So what's Sky Showcase+1 then? Sky Max+1? Sky Atlantic +1? Sky Crime +1? Sky History +1?

I can only presume you have looked down the offerings for Sky Stream, as that platform doesn't provide access to +1 channels. HD and I believe Q does.
Don't have Sky Stream [not sure why you thought that, since I already said before I had the episodes recorded on a Sky Q box], but I didn't realise that Sky still had some +1 channels. My apologies: as you can tell, I don't go looking for +1 channels on a regular basis, nor do I end up using them. Smile

Anyway, thanks for the conversation, but I guess we're going off-topic about what I originally wanted to discuss, and I've enough answers here that covers what I initially posted about. Smile

Just dropping in a friendly reminder to please keep things civil. This is a discussion forum with various personalities on it, so when you ask questions or raise a point, sometimes you are going to get answers which may seem quite curt or matter of fact in their nature. However a dislike for an answer also does not warrant referring to any other members as 'sounding like an ass'. If anyone feels a post is out of line you are always welcome to report said post to moderators and we will look at it and decide.

Thanks Smile
[-] The following 1 user Likes Frappé's post:
  • Brekkie

To change to a different, but more related challenge topic, i saw a youtube video where someone had managed to grt ahold of the Fort Boyard OST and it reminded me that Challenge has preivously aired all of the Fort Boyard episodes from the Channel 5 era.

Wonder if those will come around again in the near future, considering that there might be interest in physical/endurance game shows of that nature now, thanks in no small part to the successful BBC revival of Gladiators. I’m also hoping [optimistically] that Fort Boyard is also revived, as apparently there are some versions being made this year, but the cost to produce this will be high as its something they would be producing outside of the UK, so comes with all the insurance and travel expenditure that only someone like ITV or Channel 5 could reasonably attempt to produce….

Am I right in thinking Challenge did their own series of Fort Boyard?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • SuperSajuuk

Challenge did have a go in 2003 and did a pretty decent job considering they probably had to do it on the cheap compared to Channel 5

The trouble I had was Leslie Grantham being so damn perfect at the pantomine of playing Boyard it was a bit of a downgrade to suddenly have a 'nice' Boyard with Christopher Ellison

ITV did have a pretty successful run but you might not have even been aware as it was a kids edition for CITV
[-] The following 3 users Like Johnr's post:
  • DE88, Ma76, SuperSajuuk

IIRC Challenge changed the format slightly compared to the original Channel 5 show, as it was more about the keys than than the later clue challenges, though I'm pretty sure the French version has moved closer towards that in due course (and probably became more torturous in later years as other shows caught up)

And of course the concept was sold to the UK in late 1980s, but the fort itself was unavailable for filming as it was having some work done, so they had to recreate it locally and it became Crystal Maze which was itself relatively successful (in UK terms anyway).
[-] The following 2 users Like Neil Jones's post:
  • ACTV, SuperSajuuk

(10-06-2024, 12:50 AM)Johnr Wrote:  Challenge did have a go in 2003 and did a pretty decent job considering they probably had to do it on the cheap compared to Channel 5

The trouble I had was Leslie Grantham being so damn perfect at the pantomine of playing Boyard it was a bit of a downgrade to suddenly have a 'nice' Boyard with Christopher Ellison

ITV did have a pretty successful run but you might not have even been aware as it was a kids edition for CITV
Yes, the kids version was pretty decent though I preferred the 30 minute US co-production as felt the hour long version of that format dragged a bit in comparison, especially at 8.30 in the morning.

Fort Boyard seems like it could be brought back for the UK market but cost is an issue and it could probably only work on a minor channel like before anyway so that makes it more unlikely. It passed most viewers by here and doesn't have the same iconic status as The Crystal Maze which even if people didn't watch it they knew of it. Also, so many elements have been borrowed for other shows since, which if it were to be revived by the BBC or ITV (who are of the few who have the money for it), it would be deemed a rip-off of I'm A Celeb and Crystal Maze by those who don't know the history and that criticism would be difficult to recover from. Where it aired previously was helpful in that it avoided mainstream flak, apart from the "guys only watch it for Melinda" jibes during the Channel 5 era.

Thinking of C5 gameshows from around that time, Greed could be revived but Golden Balls would probably be seen as a better bet. On a side note, Press Your Luck has that contestants being selfish angle without the show being too similar to what we have now and could work. The basic premise of Night Fever and celebs singing has been used since but in knockout formats and also on minor channels which made it seem not worth watching (e.g. Celebrity Karaoke Club on ITV2), but I think on ITV with a bigger budget it would do well.
[-] The following 1 user Likes tellyblues's post:
  • SuperSajuuk

(10-06-2024, 12:50 AM)Johnr Wrote:  Challenge did have a go in 2003 and did a pretty decent job considering they probably had to do it on the cheap compared to Channel 5

youtu.be 

There was also Fort Boyard takes on the world which was a 10 part documentary on the various international versions of the brand, which aired a year after the Challenge version (and hosted by Tim Vine, one of the celebrity contestants on that iteration)