BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

(07-06-2024, 10:07 PM)harshy Wrote:  should it have said BBC and NEWS at the bottom rather then BBC and ELECTION at the bottom?

Complete non-issue. It's clearly intentionally not being branded as BBC News.

Have to say it's very refreshing to see a BBC set/programme that people here are overwhelmingly positive about. The set looks great, really like the triangles that tie the set together with the titles and overall election branding.

Mishal was also brilliant. Whilst she already has a relatively high profile, she should be used more across the BBC, although I have no doubt that she will be after tonight.
[-] The following 10 users Like MFTJA's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, harshy, JamieD, Jeff, Quantum+83, Reith85, Stuart, thePineapple, UTVLifer

It was always a bit odd Mishal got a presenting slot on the 2012 Olympics even though I don't think she'd fronted any sport beforehand or indeed since.

She is brilliant though and if it was up to me I'd make her the main anchor of the 6pm news with Clive taking on the 10pm - though suspect if she made a more permanent shift to the BBC1 bulletins she might end up sharing the Ten with Clive with Sophie leading the 6pm team, which would work just as well.
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • ACTV, chrisherald, Jeff, UTVLifer

(07-06-2024, 10:07 PM)harshy Wrote:  should it have said BBC and NEWS at the bottom rather then BBC and ELECTION at the bottom? The Election Debate from BBC News, rather then The Election Debate from BBC Election?

Also seemed to have no mention of the 24 logo on the titles themselves?

Have the election night programmes, or election debates, ever been branded as BBC News?
[-] The following 2 users Like bilky asko's post:
  • chrisherald, harshy

Jon Sopel and Emily Maitlis on the Newsagents were predicting that (their mate) Mishal would have her hands full keeping seven politicians in order, but if anybody could do it, she could. Sounds like that was pretty spot on.
[-] The following 8 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • agentsquash, AndrewP, Jeff, matthieu1221, Reith85, Stuart, TVHead, UTVLifer

(07-06-2024, 11:09 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  It was always a bit odd Mishal got a presenting slot on the 2012 Olympics even though I don't think she'd fronted any sport beforehand or indeed since.

She is brilliant though and if it was up to me I'd make her the main anchor of the 6pm news with Clive taking on the 10pm - though suspect if she made a more permanent shift to the BBC1 bulletins she might end up sharing the Ten with Clive with Sophie leading the 6pm team, which would work just as well.

In Sue Barker’s autobiography she said the original plan for the opening ceremony was that newsreaders were going to host that as well. So Mishal was part of the drive to make the Olympics seem more newsy.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Newshound47's post:
  • dvboy

(07-06-2024, 11:10 PM)bilky asko Wrote:  Have the election night programmes, or election debates, ever been branded as BBC News?

Not from what I can tell (though the coverage has had the BBC News ticker, branded as such, on screen throughout since 2010).

(07-06-2024, 11:09 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  It was always a bit odd Mishal got a presenting slot on the 2012 Olympics even though I don't think she'd fronted any sport beforehand or indeed since.

She's a very polished newsreader, but I do feel such a shift would be wasting her talents a little. There are very few others in the BBC stable that I would put in the same 'master of interviewing' category - i.e., able to be incisive, always well-briefed, able to control the flow of the interview and be reactive, without being needlessly antagonistic or making it about themselves - so it would seem a little bit of a mistake to move her away from that kind of stuff. Senior state/national events presenter certainly, but confined to daily bulletins unnecessary.
[-] The following 7 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, chrisherald, Reith85, Steve in Pudsey, Stuart, UTVLifer

(07-06-2024, 10:40 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Always looks good, it's a really handy studio for intimate events.

I've never understood why it looks like there are what looks like the top of door frames on the side walls. I'm pretty sure the floor hasn't been made 5 foot higher, I presume it's an odd architectural thing

They were doors originally - you can see them in this old photo..

www.alamy.com 

There’s now a modern hydronic stage which IS a lot higher and why you only see the top of the door frame.
[-] The following 5 users Like Rxtx's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, Reith85, Stooky Bill, Stuart

(05-06-2024, 06:03 PM)TIGHazard Wrote:  When they showed Election 2010, they included Breakfast. Though not listed as a separate programme, just part of the overnight coverage from 21:55 to 09:00

www.bbc.co.uk 

Though Dimblebly and co did keep presenting during the breakfast timeslot that year (looking on YouTube, all that changes is the BBC News ticker is replaced by a clock at 6:09, then goes back to the results ticker at 8:30, there's no Breakfast branding anywhere), rather than going to a separate Breakfast branded programme with different presenters as happened in 83-05, which I imagine is why it was included in that repeat, it's basically just part of the regular coverage.

Though the 97 Breakfast News did differ from other years in that it came from the election studio rather than the usual one, albeit still with its own branding and presenters.

www.youtube.com 

I actually did watch through the 1992 election earlier, which is probably one of the more interesting ones to watch because of how wrong the polls were, even their own exit poll, and seeing how things change through the night as they realise, and their predictions VERY slowly shifting- it's not until several hundred seats have already come in that they start to aknowledge a Tory majority as being likely. With pretty much every other election we've seen, bar 1970, the result's more or less a foregone conclusion (with exit polls in recent elections getting it right to within a few seats, even the surprise 2017 result), so you don't really get any of that.

(07-06-2024, 11:43 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Not from what I can tell (though the coverage has had the BBC News ticker, branded as such, on screen throughout since 2010).

Election night coverage was indeed BBC News-branded for some time after 2010, as this image from the 2016 coverage shows:

I'm not sure exactly when the change occurred, but by the time of this 2019 screenshot which I also had on my computer for some reason, the branding had switched to 'BBC Election [year]'.

By-election coverage has continued to carry BBC News branding.
ibb.co 
[-] The following 3 users Like LDN's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald