Challenge TV

However, whoever made the credits for Through the Keyhole in 1989 didn't get the memo

youtu.be 
[-] The following 3 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • ethanjbrady, Larry the Loafer, lookoutwales

Given Yorkshire's history of playing around with overly corporate branding, maybe internally they were actually considering a fuller rename of the company as YTV ltd in the late 80s as they may have thought it more marketable internationally. But the launch of the ITV generic look may have put paid to such a plan given they seemed quite enamoured with that.

TV Whirl - Since 2001

Changing the channel name at the bottom of the ident to read just YTV instead of Yorkshire Television wouldn't have been difficult. The only difficulty would've been if they replaced the Chevron with a new logo, which would've meant redesigning the graphic in the V of the ITV logo (Thames is the only one who did that). They did eventually just black it out when they edited the ident to end on their own symbol. So I don't think the 1989 ident is why that didn't happen. It could be that they found out a Canadian channel was already called YTV (Y as in youngsters in that case, it's a kids channel) - it launched in 1988.

You can see why such a move might have been considered to avoid having to tiptoe around the word Yorkshire to avoid upsetting Lincolnshire ("Here's the weather for the YTV region", "the Calendar region"). Ulster rebranded to UTV at a similar time (give or take 5 years).

I'm pretty sure I've seen the YTV Ltd copyright line on something else but I can't quite remember. Possibly Emmerdale after it dropped the Farm.

1982 would've been the time to do it. First franchise changeover since they took over the Belmont transmitter from Anglia - and thus added Lincolnshire to their broadcast area - in the 1970s.

The motion is looking very dodgy on this Millionaire episode.