BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

(12-06-2024, 09:19 AM)Earlie37 Wrote:  If this is an indication of where the BBC News graphics may be going then it looks quite smart. Slightly twitching over the positioning of the text for the single line (e.g. headline for the story) as it's drifted slightly upwards and not aligned centrally on the vertical. I also wish they would add some transparency so you can slightly see the pictures behind - at one point it blocks out all the children's faces completely.

However, looks neat and quite a good evolution of the current graphics. The animations are subtle but also flow nicely.

At 2:38 on the video you can see where the clock (00:00) should be as when it animated off the screen bottom right.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Gordonthegopher's post:
  • Nobby

(13-06-2024, 01:30 AM)Stuart Wrote:  I was more disturbed that she did more talking than anyone else. I don't think that's a very good interview technique. It's quite frustrating for the viewer and also the people being interviewed.

The set in Grimsby looked quite nice. It's rather the case these days of "have big LED screen, will travel". Big Grin

Spotted the very nice looking organ (?) behind the LED screen! Big Grin
[-] The following 3 users Like matthieu1221's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Stuart

(13-06-2024, 09:09 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Tonight's party election broadcast from Reform UK was rather weird. For the whole five minutes, just the one silent static caption appearead on screen - no policies, no politicians, no voters, none of the usual hallmarks of a political broadcast.

Not sure how effectove that would be in appealing to voters (especially with their leader being one of the more recognisable politicans around) but it's got me and a few others online talking about, so I guess it worked in a way.

www.bbc.co.uk 

Well it’s led to useful idiots sharing it on social media. One prolific media-focused Tweeter who we all know here has literally posted a screenshot of it to all his followers. Plenty of others doing the same. Job done as far as Reform are concerned.
[-] The following 3 users Like all new phil's post:
  • bkman1990, Spencer, TVFan

(14-06-2024, 12:05 AM)all new phil Wrote:  Well it’s led to useful idiots sharing it on social media. One prolific media-focused Tweeter who we all know here has literally posted a screenshot of it to all his followers. Plenty of others doing the same. Job done as far as Reform are concerned.
Well yes, more people chase seen it but what they've seen isn't that much. It's like those posters and placards that are put outside houses during elections - it says the name and the slogan, but no actual reasoning to vote that way. Whether it'll actually persuade anyone, possibly not. I don't get why they only kept their URL onscreen for the first 30 seconds, none of the social media screen grabs contain it
[-] The following 2 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • chrisherald, Stuart

Sorry if this has already been covered, but I see that Newscast is doing an "Election All-Nighter" in the BBC Radio Theatre and looking for audience members (and only letting them apply for a single ticket!): www.bbc.co.uk 

I note the link refers to the podcast being recorded (rather than any bits going out live anywhere). Not surprising given the usual contributors, like Chris M and Laura K, will be busy with the main programme on BBC One.
[-] The following 1 user Likes scottishtv's post:
  • chrisherald

My reading of the email was that they might speak to people live on the night - I’m guessing tv and radio might cross live to Newscast during the broadcasts, and then they’d record Newscast live in the morning - probably after 6am when Laura K and Chris M are replaced by Sophie R and Jon K.
[-] The following 4 users Like steve's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, Jeff, scottishtv, thePineapple

I wonder if ITV not getting much praise for their debates might see a change of strategy next time, though I can't see them bailing on them.
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, GMc, octothorpe

(13-06-2024, 09:23 PM)Spencer Wrote:  Is there any particular reason there are no STV logos on set for these debates, this year?

There was one for the first Sunak/Starmer one in Salford, as well as UTV, but the logos alternated with another graphic, and were more often than not out of shot.
[-] The following 3 users Like what's post:
  • chrisherald, Spencer, Stuart

(11-06-2024, 04:32 PM)TVHead Wrote:  You can see these in action in this video here:
www.youtube.com 

Let’s hope the dark purple bar doesn't become a permanent red bar when it appears as BBC News
[-] The following 2 users Like Daveuk's post:
  • chrisherald, Stuart

I'm tempted to apply for the Newscast all nighter although I wonder many people in the audience may end up having a nap during the recording!
[-] The following 2 users Like XIII's post:
  • chrisherald, Stuart