TV Social Media Pres Gold

A load of great retro US stuff in that video that sadly hasn't had an outlet in the UK for a long time. Of course most of the UK stuff in there is still constantly repeated

TV Ark recently uploaded the full version of BBC Two's 1989 Christmas ident. I had no idea this version existed, which made me wonder how many more people it passed by. So I figured I'd share it, as it's actually quite lovely.

tvark.org 

I mean it's nice and all, but doesn't really say Christmas to me
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Spencer

Looks like something out of Monty Python to be honest.

If it had been presented to me out of context and not been said it was supposed to be Christmas, I'd have probably said it was a themed ident as part of a package to commemorate the life of Salvador Dali or something (though as it turns out Dali did die in January 1989 so...)

Its very artistic and intricate but it looks like something Channel 4 would have put out in its early years.

(29-05-2024, 06:47 AM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  I mean it's nice and all, but doesn't really say Christmas to me
Compared with the rather poncy plain logo they had the rest of the year it's definitely festive!

I guess this was the era when BBC2 was walking the tightrope between high brow and pretentious.

tvark.org 

One of the idents from the very scarce UK Gold Classics (the first string of channel identities that would later become Dave) also appears to have been uploaded on the site in recent months

Very short lived channel, was only around for a little over 6 months I think, before it became UK Gold 2, which was the daytime schedule timeshifted into primetime.

(01-06-2024, 12:02 AM)James2001 Wrote:  Very short lived channel, was only around for a little over 6 months I think, before it became UK Gold 2, which was the daytime schedule timeshifted into primetime.

UK Gold Classics had its own schedule of lesser-repeated shows, IIRC - used to go on air around 6pm with a couple of YTV sitcoms, namely Oh No It's Selwyn Froggitt and You're Only Young Twice.

Meanwhile, here's the Central 'globe' ident, Harry Rabinowitz style (bit of a pain to find a decent upload of this)

www.youtube.com 

You'll recall Rabinowitz - former head of music at LWT - also conducted a live 'showbiz' version of the cake prod cap ident for the 1988 grand final.