BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

(13-06-2024, 09:09 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Tonight's party election broadcast from Reform UK was rather weird. For the whole five minutes, just the one silent static caption appearead on screen - no policies, no politicians, no voters, none of the usual hallmarks of a political broadcast.

Channel 4 did make note of the silence in their continuity announcement:

www.tvhome.co.uk 

The BBC didn't:

www.tvhome.co.uk 
[-] The following 3 users Like thegeek's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, Nobby

I thought it was compulsory that political broadcasts had to be book ended by generic slides with basic announcements just saying who it is from.

I’m surprised to see Channel 4 just use a normal ident and referred to the content
[-] The following 1 user Likes Andrew's post:
  • chrisherald

(12-06-2024, 09:19 AM)Earlie37 Wrote:  If this is an indication of where the BBC News graphics may be going then it looks quite smart. Slightly twitching over the positioning of the text for the single line (e.g. headline for the story) as it's drifted slightly upwards and not aligned centrally on the vertical. I also wish they would add some transparency so you can slightly see the pictures behind - at one point it blocks out all the children's faces completely.

However, looks neat and quite a good evolution of the current graphics. The animations are subtle but also flow nicely.

It`s a pity that lately News seem to be not using anymore the Reith Serif font which was used extensively on the 2019 graphic package.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lec_Ver16's post:
  • xlalonce

bbc.co.uk/schedules now has the Local Radio schedules up to the 5th July. It looks like they haven't confirmed what is going on yet with some stations showing the regular network programme, others showing off air 22.00-05.00, others showing the Friday Breakfast show starting at 05.00.

Notably none of the stations I've checked are showing the overnight 5Live simulcast at this point.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • chrisherald

(13-06-2024, 09:09 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Tonight's party election broadcast from Reform UK was rather weird. For the whole five minutes, just the one silent static caption appearead on screen - no policies, no politicians, no voters, none of the usual hallmarks of a political broadcast.

Not sure how effectove that would be in appealing to voters (especially with their leader being one of the more recognisable politicans around) but it's got me and a few others online talking about, so I guess it worked in a way.

www.bbc.co.uk 

That's tonight's, not last night's - seems it went on iPlayer early. And yes, definitely odd that all it said was "Britain is broken. Britain needs Reform". Didn't even show Reform's logo.

It was on Channel 4 last night, and BBC One and ITV1 tonight.

Did Channel 4 show the wrong one? They're usually on all the channels on the same day.

C4 and C5 have a slightly different schedule due to not being able to opt out for the nations.

It did go out on S4C in Welsh too, but they messed up the translation.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald

(14-06-2024, 08:11 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  That's tonight's, not last night's - seems it went on iPlayer early. And yes, definitely odd that all it said was "Britain is broken. Britain needs Reform". Didn't even show Reform's logo.

It does seem quite strange that all any political party would do that in an election broadcast. You'd expect at least a voiceover from Farage and some relevant graphics. But if it got enough people talking, (like we are regardless of whether any of us would vote for Reform UK or not) and posting on social media, then I guess it worked*. Presentation wise, there isn't really much we can say about it here, other than it being a caption you might see on the stage background at a party conference.

*Probably.

(14-06-2024, 02:18 PM)Daveuk Wrote:  Let’s hope the dark purple bar doesn't become a permanent red bar when it appears as BBC News

It looks relatively neat but I don’t think it needs to be so spread out over different lines. BBC News could go at the bottom (who even types out a web address these days?), they could have a single line name caption if they’re going full width (like Sky do in election mode) and the height of the headline text bar could be much thinner.
[-] The following 3 users Like all new phil's post:
  • chrisherald, nthnrw, thePineapple