BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

The picture quality on the Panorama interview tonight looked really poor, I’m sure I could see dropped frames or smeary motion on the picture. I understand seemingly everything nowadays has to be recorded in 25p frame rate, but it looked like there was something wrong with how the cameras were set up?

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]

(14-06-2024, 08:50 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  The picture quality on the Panorama interview tonight looked really poor, I’m sure I could see dropped frames or smeary motion on the picture. I understand seemingly everything nowadays has to be recorded in 25p frame rate, but it looked like there was something wrong with how the cameras were set up?

Do we know what Studio 44D is usually used for?

A bit of everything, seemingly

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • chrisherald, Spencer, Stuart

Just catching up on Sky’s leaders event from earlier in the week. What a brilliant looking set-up they had. Simple but really smart.
[-] The following 3 users Like all new phil's post:
  • callumwatchestelly, chrisherald, Matrix

(14-06-2024, 08:45 PM)all new phil Wrote:  It looks relatively neat but I don’t think it needs to be so spread out over different lines. BBC News could go at the bottom (who even types out a web address these days?), they could have a single line name caption if they’re going full width (like Sky do in election mode) and the height of the headline text bar could be much thinner.

The web adress bar space is going to be likely used for the flipper on the news channel like is the case now.

I agree that the purple or red plain bar is totally unnecesary. Maybe the logo could be placed with the time in the same line as the flipper like it was the case on the pre-2019 packages.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lec_Ver16's post:
  • chrisherald

Some footage from ITN's 1983 election here:

www.youtube.com 

The graphics seem a lot more basic and primitive than the ones the BBC were using this year.

I think the 6-9:25 portion was a co-operation between TV-am and ITN, switching between them. Which never happened again, with either TV-am or GMTV, or Daybreak or GMB that followed.

Also, ITV News have the entirely of their overnight 2019 coverage up, even has a few seconds at the end after they'd have handed over to GMB:

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • chrisherald

Oh, they've got the 2017 election up too, both the overnight and morning shows (missing the first 25 minutes of so of the latter):

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

And the morning coverage from 2019- they haven't disabled the live chat replay on this one:

www.youtube.com 

Edit: More digging and they have the overnight coverage of 2015 as well, a good 30 or so seconds after the handover to GMB at the end:

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • chrisherald

Interesting seeing Ed Balls & George Osborne on for the 2019 coverage - years before their podcast began right? Were they good friends or is it just a combination that came up again?

(14-06-2024, 11:03 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Oh, they've got the 2017 election up too, both the overnight and morning shows (missing the first 25 minutes of so of the latter):

Not on ITV's official channel, but the interesting set up they used for Election 2010 is here:

youtu.be 

Really fully embodies the absolutely unique design of the car park era.
[-] The following 4 users Like what's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, mark, TVFan

(14-06-2024, 10:46 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Some footage from ITN's 1983 election here:

www.youtube.com 

The graphics seem a lot more basic and primitive than the ones the BBC were using this year.

I think the 6-9:25 portion was a co-operation between TV-am and ITN, switching between them. Which never happened again, with either TV-am or GMTV, or Daybreak or GMB that followed.

Also, ITV News have the entirely of their overnight 2019 coverage up, even has a few seconds at the end after they'd have handed over to GMB:

www.youtube.com 

Daybreak never got to produce any general election coverage, given its short life.
[-] The following 3 users Like freeview87's post:
  • bkman1990, Pips2022, UTVLifer