TV Social Media Pres Gold

More rare glimpses of Ulster TV pres in action from the summer of '76, courtesy of Kaleidoscope...

www.youtube.com 

www.youtube.com 

...and a further midsummer example from 1980 - your announcer in and out of vision is Keith Hayes.

www.youtube.com 

There's been quite a few 70s Ulster clips uploaded by Kaleidoscope. All seem to be after Thames documentaries such as World At War. I wonder who it was recording all those back then and how they were donated to them
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • lookoutwales

(23-06-2024, 01:02 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  There's been quite a few 70s Ulster clips uploaded by Kaleidoscope. All seem to be after Thames documentaries such as World At War. I wonder who it was recording all those back then and how they were donated to them

If I were to take a guess it was someone involved in education possibly using the school/College Video recorder to record the shows. I remember decades ago there was a huge stock of videotapes with every type of show recorded in Coleraine (at the University), with a load of presentation also on the tapes. Stuff I had never seen from the early 70's onwards.
[-] The following 2 users Like chinamug's post:
  • lookoutwales, Stooky Bill

Not sure if this is the right place for this, but if you've ever wondered about how place names work on weather maps...

vm.tiktok.com 
[-] The following 4 users Like what's post:
  • bai4943, octothorpe, Si-Co, Stooky Bill

(23-06-2024, 04:02 PM)chinamug Wrote:  If I were to take a guess it was someone involved in education possibly using the school/College Video recorder to record the shows. I remember decades ago there was a huge stock of videotapes with every type of show recorded in Coleraine (at the University), with a load of presentation also on the tapes. Stuff I had never seen from the early 70's onwards.

Didn't kale say to the uni, send us the tapes and were convert them, and uni told this to get lost. So a team took equipment to Belfast and did the conversion work there? Makes me wonder if other unis like Cambridge, Oxford, Edinburgh etc might have hidden gems.

I suspect many unis have long disposed of their stock of physical off-air recordings in favour of network PVR solutions like Planet eStream or cloud offerings like Box of Broadcasts. They have been commonplace for 10-15 years, and there's little call for anything older.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • what

(26-06-2024, 06:50 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  I suspect many unis have long disposed of their stock of physical off-air recordings in favour of network PVR solutions like Planet eStream or cloud offerings like Box of Broadcasts. They have been commonplace for 10-15 years, and there's little call for anything older.

AFAIK, the PVR recordings from BoB only become common from about mid 2006 onwards (starting from July), before then it's mainly digitised VHS off air recordings from around the late 90s to that point (though a couple were in letterboxed 4:3 in comparison to the PVR ones which are in 16:9)

Notwithstanding that, the point is that individual libraries don't have shelves full of VHS knocking around with programmes and the surrounding pres intact.